Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: k7s5a ECS Motherboard

k7s5a ECS Motherboard

I have trouble with this board, the place where I bought it sent me a replacement...and I have the same problem with it too. The problem is that it is appears dead. I don't hear any beeps, nor does the little energy compliant screen come up, however the leds do light up. I have an AMD approved powersupply for the 1.33 G Athlon CPU w/HSF, I'm using a 256M DIMM memory module. plus the AGP video card...that uses a VGA monitor. I've been told that this is all I need to get the beeps and the energy compliant screen to come up. But I have connected all the other things like the cdrom drive, hard drive, and floppy drive. Well I have switched out the power supply, put in another DIMM module, and bought another video card, all to no avail. Am I missing something here....I would appreciate your advise.
    Thanks!

You are not alone.

I am having the same problem, no post and everything is running. I just bought this same motherboard Saturday, a 1.2 T-bird, and a 400w power supply. I have spent the last two days trying to figure out what I am missing and I don't have a clue. I have been wondering if something may be wrong with the processor.

Just a note: Make sure that you don't turn on your system without a heatsink fan on the processor it will fry it.

ECS K7S5A

This board has given me a fit too! Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet? Also, try turning the pin connectors for the LED's. I'm wondering if they are mislabled on this board.

K7S5A

Are you running a 200mhz FSB Athlon? If you are and the BIOS is set to 133mhz X 2 = 266mhz, nothing will work. Also, if your AGP card is not proprely set in all the way, believe me AGP cards are sensitive to this, you will also get the black screen of death, but you should get BIOS beep errors. Also, if your memory is PC-100 and your memory bus is set too high in the BIOS same result. IDE connectors on backward can cause something similar, but I've never made that error so I can't be positive. Good luck and keep us posted, wallie_x

I tried a different processor, no change.

I have the same motherboard, i don't have any technical problems so far. Everything smooth. I just had to change some setup in my BIOS, somewhere it was set up 100/100 MHZ, had to change it to 133/133, but this motherboard SUCKS!!!! It hangs when i run some benchmarks!

Ultimate Member
    kvk007, I bet you have bad RAM, poor CPU cooling, or an inadequate power supply there.

Peter Missel, i have Crucial RAM. It is good. ANd i have 300 W powersupply which is AMD approved.

For heat sink i have MINI super ORB

Hmm what do you think??

K7S5A

First, kvk007, the reason your system hangs is most likely D/T the software your using, not the board, especially if does not hang up otherwise.
    Robert M. If you've had two consecutive boards that display the same problem it is most likely your error. These boards aren't just shipped without testing. Strip your system to bare bones. Mobo, CPU w/HSF, Hard drive configured as master on primary IDE, CD-ROM as master on secondary IDE. Make sure the jumpers on the HD & CD-ROM are set to master settings with the cables and #1 pin (red stripped) all set correctly. On ATA 66 cables the blue end plugs into the board. If any of the above is wrong, the somewhat low tech AMI BIOS in these boards may have a problem reading the system. Your AGP card must be pushed ALL the way into its slot or your will get nothing. If your AGP card is bad, you will get nothing. The jumper on the CMOS must be set to the proper positon or you will get nothing. Make sure JP1 jumper is set properly. Just go through your system carefully again and make sure its configured correctly. MAKE SURE the ATX power connector is seated properly. These ECS boards are very sensetive and make sure your power supply is set to the right voltage. Also, make sure the board is not grounding out some where. A simple Bozo mistake I've made is to invert the mouse and keyboard connectors, but the system didn't hang, it was also fully configured however. Good luck, wallie_x

Hi wallie_x, the weird thing. When i use my computer normal IT IS NORMAL. I played lots of games on it in the past 2 weeks.

When i ran the 3dmark2001 for the 1st time JUST yesterday, the computer HANGED when benchmarking.

I tried again 3dmark2001, it HANGED AGAIN in the 2ns demo game or whatever.

Then when i played Serious Sam game, after 5 mins of playing, COMPUTER HANGS. Everytime now it hangs like this when i play serious sam!

Is it because of 3dmark2001 screwing my computer???

The wierd thing i noticed, my CPU used to be ALWAYS Stable at 49C!!!! After putting the 3dmark2001 and computer hanging. Then when i play Serious Sam, the temprature raises every MINTURE 1 C, then when it reaches 55C, computer hangs!

Please any help. THis all happened from 3dmark2001.

I have GF2 MX400, 1800+ AthlonXP and ECS k7s5a while 256 CRUCIAL DDR 2100 .

CPU temp

Your CPU should not be running so hot. That maybe your problem. A hot CPU can become unstable and freeze the system. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you try and fix this problem before running CPU intensive software. You should take off your heat sink and reset it properly. There is only one real way to do this correctly. Do not use your system otherwise. I can't finish now because I'm late. Try and find a web link about proper heat sink placement and heat sink paste application. If your system temp rises above 52C give it a rest. I'll write more when I can. wallie_x

Thanks alot wallie_x for your time I will appretiate it if you can give me any detail as possible

I bought this same motherboard about a week ago, and put in an AMD Athlon XP 1600. When I first powered it up, nothing. Came to this forum and read a few posts, where I saw about the agp video card no being seated all the way. I was thinking to myself, " I know it can't be that", but when I went back to check, sure enough it was. It's working great now!

It's running Windows XP Pro with 256 megs ram, and in an older tower case with a 300w power supply

k7s5a

well, i cannot beleive how many posts i have seen with these probs. my friend got one and i put it in and had same prob. well, here is the answer. IT IS SHORTING OUT! The ecs k7s5a is EXTREMELY sensetive to shorting out so make sure you have a TRIED AND TRUE case. Then put electrical tape on all the places where the mobo touches metal. Use the washers and stuff that came with the mobo on the mounting screws, not tape. This will help almost anyone with the symptons described in the first post. I hope this helps and if it doesn't post your email and i'll talk o ya some more.
    Also, wallie and kvk i would like to know how EXACTLY to seat a heatsink and cpu since i ALWAYS seem to get higher than average temps when i build with 1.2ghz plus t'birds

k7s5a

Well luckily my installation of this board went fine except for one thing.....where the heck do I plug in my power led, the spot on the board has 2 pins and my case led has a 3 pin plug. Other then that I'm happy so far with it and my new 1.4 gig athlon. ( sorry if this is a dumb question...kinda new to this stuff).
    On a side note does anyone have a link to a decent hardware monitoring program for this board ? I believe the only way to check it now is to enter set-up mode?
    thx Bryan