Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Kernel 32

To rockinmale

I believe that if you look at the options or the configuration of Norton's you can set it to do only what you want it to do, or have it confirm any actions with you before it does anything, so it seems that maybe the help file is where a person should start with when getting something as powerful and that has many options. Rosco111

Invalid Page fault and MSVCRT.dll

I had a lot of problems with Invalid Page fault as well - without apparent reason.
    (Athlon 1.2:Win98)
    Then I had cause to download updates for Easy Creator 4 deluxe.
    During the course of that Roxio.com (who bought Adaptec Easy CD) gave some interesting advice.

Namely to make sure that only the LATEST version of MSVCRT.dll was loaded in Windows/System.
    They said it would make Windows more stable. They were right.
    I did a search to find all versions of MSVCRT and sure enough I had several versions. After making the change I haven't had a single invalid page fault.
    I've mislaid the printout but you can find it at www.Roxio.com. Essentially it requires renaming the unwanted msvcrt.dll files to say mscvrt.xxx and then copying the latest dll to the same locations - particularly windows/system. Not easy within windows - I had to restart in DOS to achieve it.
    Note that dates don't necessarily indicate the latest version - find this via the "properties" tab - and make a list (and probably back-up as well) otherwise you'll be in trouble.

John Burt UK
    John Burt

Thanks!

Thank you John! I appreicate your help with this. It's amazing how many different things there are to consider when you have a problem like this.

Userserver helped me solve my problem, it turns out that my screensaver was causing my problem and since I got rid of it, I haven't had any more error messages.

invalid page fault

To bewick1

When I did a search for msvcrt* I can up with 23 different msvcrt types such as msvcrtd.dll,msvcrt10.dll,msvcrt20.dll,msvcrt40.dll so I don't think I could rename very many of these files without messing up a program. I do know that when I purchased my pc I have that version from the date and then after installing other programs you get all the rest. So I really do not think I can rename some of these files without having problems with some programs.
    Rosco111