Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kernel 32

Kernel 32

Can someone please help me? I keep getting this error and I don't know anything about computers but how to surf the web

KERNEL32 caused an invalid page fault in
    module MSVCRT.DLL at 0177:78002f52.
    Registers:
    EAX=0000001d CS=0177 EIP=78002f52 EFLGS=00010246
    EBX=78037cc8 SS=017f ESP=00f9eae4 EBP=00f9f108
    ECX=00000000 DS=017f ESI=78022082 FS=2177
    EDX=00f9eaaa ES=017f EDI=00000100 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    8b 01 ba ff fe fe 7e 03 d0 83 f0 ff 33 c2 83 c1
    Stack dump:
    00404919 00000000 00f9f000 00f9ef00 00000000 bff76dac 78022b9a 575c3a43 4f444e49 535c5357 45545359 72705c4d 636f746f 642e6c6f 00006c6c 00000000

Thanks!

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    If you can get into win then try disabling apps running in the background type msconfig in the run box go to startup tab and start unchecking your apps see how sys responds though I doubt this will help as you may have bad ram you could take out your ram if you have a couple of strips and try them in slot 1 one at a time see if problem goes away.

This might help
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q221946&GSSNB=1

Bairbre

Simply put, an invalid page fault is an event when something (e.g., a program) has lodged itself in area where it is not supposed to go.

KERNEL32 CAUSED AN INVALID PAGE FAULT IN MODULE MSVCRT.DLL AT 0177:78002f52.

The message is telling you that Kernel32 has (unavoidably) fell upon an address in memory (0177:78002f52) belonging to Msvcrt.dll. In the computer world, this is known as an Invalid Page Fault (one of several derivatives) and is not permitted by the operating system. So it refuses to allow such an indiscretion and shuts down.

Kernel32 is an important core component of your OS. It manages a lot of things in your system. It's what you might call a manager of sorts. Think of the manager in your office and you get the picture how crucial this guy is.

Msvcrt.dll is what we call a dynamic-link library (dll). Its job is to facilitate communication among programs. Msvcrt.dll is a harmless little fellow, being a Runtime file for C programs (Microsoft Visual C Runtime - Msvcrt).

Those numbers highlighted after REGISTERS are addresses in your Central Processing Unit (CPU). Registers store data where work is done on it and later despatched to where it is supposed to go. Registers is where data is manipulated. You can ignore these numbers and those for Stack Dump.

What causes Invalid Page Faults?

RAM
    If ram is inadequate to run your system, virtual memory becomes "unmanageable". You might call it "unstable". I won't go into a detailed explanation of virtual memory except to say that it is an area in your hard disk set aside to facilitate the retrieval and storage of frequently-used data.

Defective ram is a consideration.

VIRTUAL MEMORY
    Virtual memory not only flounders when physical ram is short but also when disk space is restricted. The virtual memory area may also be damaged.

POSSIBILITIES
    Rangeral is pointing you in the right direction. You may be faced with defective ram. But I don't see how going to the STARTUP tab and start unchecking your apps is going to rid you of the problem. This matter is purely an internal one, i.e., it is OS-related. Kernel32 and Msvcrt are both Windows system files. You may be looking at file corruption and damage.

CORRUPTED/DAMAGED FILES
    Generally-speaking, error messages relating to Kernel32 are usually indicative of Kernel32.dll. We have to consider Kernel32.vxd (vxd stands for virtual device driver) as a possible candidate for problem-solving. Msvcrt.dll needs attention as well.

You say that you don't know anything about computers but how to surf the web. This puts us in a spot. It will make our venture towards a resolution more difficult. I should not advise you to open up your machine to try sticking your ram in different slots. You may not be able to identify Slot 1. We definitely have room for error here.

So this leaves us with one alternative, an easier gig. Replace the files - Kernel32.dll and Msvcrt.dll. Hopefully, the replacement will solve your problem. If not, you may be looking at defective ram. Solution. Change ram.

I wonder, though. Do you still have access to Windows, or are you completely shut off because of the error message. Wouldn't hurt for you to give us some details of your system: CPU, ram, etc., etc. Brand? DIY unit?

Here's how to replace the 2 files.

If you have access to Windows on start up, click START, select RUN. When box appears, type sfc (this stands for SYSTEM FILE CHECKER). SFC will extract files from certain cabinets to replace the 2 files, Kernel32.dll and Msvcrt.dll. Follow the prompts on the screen. Yes, you'll be prompted on what to do. It's a relatively simple gig.

If you don't have access to Windows, then we're going to have to dig in for the long haul. Ever heard of a boot disk?

Post back, Bairbre. It'll be our pleasure to guide you all the way.

Michael Chiew
    Michael Chiew

user.exe

Michael, thank you so much for your help and your kind words! I am encouraged and feel better because you are there! I really appreciate it, I guess this is the way I can learn about computers, sorta like the way I am learning how my car works! Neither is much fun for me, because I am learning because something is broken!

I did what you said and found that user.exe is the problem, however I don't have a disk to replace it, I wonder if I could just delete it somehow??

Thanks, Barbara

Very confused

Michael, I think I am totally confused, I reread your post and I think you meant I should type in Kernel32.dll and Msvcrt.dll when prompted??? Sorry to be so dense! I used the scan for contaminated files and that gave me the user.exe

Everytime I come online, after about 10 minutes or so, I get the error message and then after I close it out I can surf and have no problem. But I'm afraid it will crash permanently.

This is what makes SysOpt such a great place!! People who just help others out (and sometimes in such detail!)!!
    A big WOW for Michael!!

your right

I agree doubleclick! I copied and pasted his comments in my word pro so I could refer to them later. I think I am going to have to become more familiar with this stuff before any of it makes a lot of sense to me.

Bairbre, Welcome to Sysopt.

Michael gave you a good point on running System File Checker.
    This has fixed problems for me in the past.

Baibre

Never think of learning as a chore. Think of it as a journey, an adventure into the unknown. Nothing beats the exhilaration when the horizon becomes clearer and you find yourself in Shangri-La.

I know. I've been there. Out of sheer frustration, unable to rely on someone else to do the job for me, I studied automotive mechanics and started repairing cars.

My first car was the ever-lovable Volkswagen Beetle. I bought a whole array of tools for taking the Love Bug apart. Those that were special, I designed and asked precision engineers to craft them for me. It was, and still is, an obsession.

The PC has now become a consuming passion. Same set of circumstances took me on the road to self-reliance. It's more efficient, and certainly helps me sleep a lot better.

Back to your problem.

All right, so you made a mistake with User.exe. It's part of the learning process. Do not delete User.exe. It's a core OS file.

Do you have your Operating System CD. If so, insert it in your CD-ROM drive. Run SFC. Click START|RUN. Type sfc in the box. You'll be prompted every step of the way. Start with replacing KERNEL32.DLL followed by MSVCRT.DLL. I'm not really sure what you did to USER.EXE. Replace USER.EXE in the same way. See what happens. What was the exact error message?

At the end of it all, you may really be faced with defective ram.

Post back, Baibre. Tell us the results.

Michael Chiew
    Michael Chiew

kernel32

I'm forever getting invalid page faults or exception 10H error messages. This problem has been driving me up the wall for 20 months. Various applications cause it eg Superscape3D, Word causes it in MSO97.dll. Considering that Word was loaded as part of Microsoft Office 97, I don't understand how the problem has arisen. I get the same when I try to use the Recipe template in MSWorks2000 and random occurrences in various bits and pieces. Only bits that seem free of this are Outlook Express and Explorer and these are the two that all the articles in The Knowledge base are about. I've replaced kernel32.dll and .vbx from the installation CD-ROM, I've reinstalled every other thing mentioned in the error messages and I've completely reinstalled Windows98 SE 5 times, all to no avail. My system is;

Win98SE
    700Mhz Athlon
    128Mb RAM
    20 Gb HD (over 13Gb free)

Can anybody out there help me before I take a hammer to it?
    Fifi

Hmm, may also be a RAM error. Download a RAM memory checker and run it to see if your RAM is ok.

I have never been able to solve my problem with kernal 32. Outlook Express never shuts down properly and it is a pain but I continue to use my computer and just close the error message when it comes up while I continue with what I am doing.

Kernel 32 at 17f:bff87ed.e ???

This is interesting. I posted a similar problem around Jan 3 and still haven't found the answer. I tried all of the suggestions posted at that time, and I thank the contributers. No answers from Microsoft either. My problem seems to lie between. Explorer6 and Outlook Exp. causing page faults and computer "hangs". This is most annoying at times.
    I have printed out Michael's answer to you Bairbre, and have studied it. It is great, as it helps me understand the problem a bit more, but I am no nearer the answer. I ran SFC (no trouble was shown on my system ?)
    Hope you find an answer to your problem.In my case itseems to be a conflict between IE and Win Exp.
    I still don't know how to get shot of IE 6 ? :O) I will further watch your thread. I keep looking here, as I hope that someone will hit on an answer for me too :O) Thanks, John

This blasted kernel32

Just noticed something. Two of us are getting 017F in our error messages. Bairbie is getting 0177. Bairbie, is there any chance that yours is 017F and not 0177? I ask this because somewhere near the top of the array of numbers at the bottom of the error message, mine states CS=017F. Now, is there anyone out there who can actually tell us what this means. Surely computer programmers will understand this sort of thing and can tell us how to use it to troubleshoot our own individual problems. Am I right in thinking that 017F is an address of something which has deposited itself in that location and kernel32 wants it for itself, or is it that kernel32 is using it and something else wants it. If we knew how to determine what was using 017F on our individual machines we may get a little further forward. Is the problem with Windows itself ie has Windows done something wrong or is Windows OK and our problem is other software? I've come across so many references to exception 10H errors and invalid page faults and illegal operations that all involve kernel32 (although I have some which involve MSO.dll as well) that I'm beginning to think that it might be a glitch in Windows 98 and 98SE which Microsoft should be sorting out. Has anyone got a service contract with Microsoft which would allow them to find out about this. I don't and I'm really hard up. If you don't have a service contract it costs $45 per query and I can't afford it (small child to support who eats like a horse)
    Fifi