Thread: device error (code 2)

device error (code 2)

I am trying to install a driver for a minidisc player and I am running into some problems. Apparently the driver is generic and in windows 98. Evertime I try and load it from my windows 98 disk it dies just as It finds 100% of the information from the disk, at this point an error pops up. OE error in VXD NTKERN (06). It began as a problem with my usb audio but now appears to be a problem with microsoft streaming clock roxy properties. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even an explanation of the VXD extention. Thanks --B
    Last edited by billybilly; 12-03-2001 at 03:32 AM.

billybilly

Some information on your system will certainly help.

What was the last thing you did before the error message appeared? What is the exact syntax of the error message.

VXDs
    Vxds, virtual device drivers, are 32-bit programs that enable communication between hardware devices and software. They make it fuss-free for more than one application to share the same resource. Important job. Without vxds your machine will falter and crack under the pressure of congested, confused activity on the buses.

Device error - Code 2 & 6
    Device error codes are generated by Device Manager. When you're confronted by such codes, chances are you have a device conflict.

Device error Code 2 suggests that Windows has failed to load a device driver. OE error in VXD NTKERN (06) is an invalid opcode fault. It happens when the processor is confronted with an "illegal" computer instruction. What this means is that a device is using the resources of another (in other words, making an illegal attempt to usurp another's rights). Not allowed.

What you have here may be an issue of device conflict, or of incompatibility between a device (your minidisc player) and the generic driver.

Have you checked Device Manager to see whether there is a device conflict

To view error codes in Device Manager, do this:

Click Start|Settings|Control Panel.

In Control Panel, double-click System, click Device Manager tab. Take a look at the listing. If you see a question mark over an item, double-click the device to view its properties. If an error code has been generated, it should appear in the Device Status box on the General tab.

If a conflict does indeed exist, remove the "errant" device from Device Manager, and have Windows redetect it by running Add New Hardware wizard. And see what results.

What's really helpful is some knowledge of your system and the exact syntax of the error message. Otherwise, we may just be barking up the wrong tree.

Michael Chiew
    Michael Chiew

Thank you for your help that was my first posting so I was a little week on the detail so here goes....
    I have a pentium with 200mz 64 ram and 3.5g hard drive with about 600meg free space. My system has been running fine playing reg cds etc. I tried to load my minidisc and nothing seems to work. In the control panel under multimedia under audio my preferred device is "cs4236/37/38". According to the manual for my minidisk once plugged in everything should be detected automatically and "usb audio device" should become the new preferred device under the multimedia tab. The "usb audio device" has not even been listed under the scroll portion of the multimedia audio tab. The plug and play did enter a human interface device portion within system and under sound, video and game controllers it will list audio device but always with either a yellow circle with an exclamation mark or a red x through it. The add new hardware section of my computer is where I begin the wiazrd detects nothing new (this is after I have deleted the defective audio device from the sound, video and game controllers section of system). I then go to the new hardware wizzard and go to no, pick from a list, I then chose other and click on audio device usb generic it then checks my computer for software along with windows 98 second edition (side note I am running windows 98 but it is the upgrade from 95 I don't know if this causes any problems-- I hope not) It checks everything over and then I click on finish. In the past it has left the faulty audio device that I have mentioned but this time it did not appear to even do that nothing has changed there is no auio device listed under sound, video and game controllers and no usb audio device listed under the scroll portion of prefered device in the multimedia section. When I was receiving errors they seemed to stem around NTKERN.VXD where I recieved messages such as "device status-- the ntkern.vxd device loader(S) for this device could not load the device driver (code 2), just after putting in my Windows 98 disk to load drivers it swas giving me a fatal exception oe error at 0028:c026c729 in vxd ntkern (06) in driver file details "windows/system/vmm32.vxd" had NTKERN VXD to the right of it (I assume that means they are one in the same?) Sometimes "MMDEVLDR.VXD" was involved in the errors. I tried it many times and sometimes these errors varied. I hope this gives you enough information and better understanding of what my problem could be and how I can fix it thank you for your help--B

Shane

Billybilly

First, let me explain the symbols and the vxds involved with your problem.

YELLOW CIRCLE WITH EXCLAMATION MARK OR A RED X
    A yellow exclamation mark suggests IRQ, I/O, DMA, or RAM address conflict with another device. A red X means a device has been removed from the CURRENT HARDWARE PROFILE.

NTKERN.VXD
    This vxd handles device driver access for Windows 98. It's a Windows NT driver interface, allowing the same vxds to work across both operating systems.

VMM32.VXD
    VMM32.vxd loads some 43 vxds on start-up (a critical function), including Configmg.vxd, Configuration Manager, which manages the I/O Subsystem.

MMDEVLDR.VXD
    Microsoft's Multimedia Device Loader.

When MMDEVLDR.VXD is corrupt or damaged, a multimedia device will not load. An incompatibility issue will also stop it from loading.

FATAL EXCEPTION ERRORS
    Fatal exception errors occur when an illegal event takes place, i.e., when one system component lodges itself in the memory address belonging to another. The system then shuts down. In your case, the "invasion" of one upon the other took place at address 0028:c026c729 where, presumably NTKERN.VXD resides. The code 06 suggests that the errant device is trying to commandeer a resource (quite likely an IRQ) from its rightful owner NTKERN.VXD. Fatal exception (OE) is a page fault interrupt. This happens when an OS accesses virtual memory in search of a page but finds that it's either missing or damaged.

When you analyze these messages, you come up with a problem of resource conflict, driver incompatibility or even "bad" memory.

Obviously, your problem is the minidisc player. And your OS has taken issue with it, considering it persona non-grata.

I'm thinking that your problem might be BIOS-related since your original OS was Windows 95. This would indicate a BIOS manufactured before that year. Some old BIOSes have problems relating to contemporary components of today.

Perhaps you should, as a start, upgrade your BIOS and chipset drivers. Restart your system, get into your BIOS to check for any changed settings you ought to correct. Do you have the motherboard manual to work with.

After that, re-install your OS (Windows 98). Do a clean re-installation, using a boot disk. Before doing it, you should get into MS-DOS, change to C:\Windows directory and rename Win.com to Win.old. This will force Windows 98 to re-install afresh without relying on old settings and, hopefully, to re-detect your minidisc player.

The MS-DOS syntax for doing this is as follows:

Boot to the A:\ prompt with a boot disk and type -

C: (enter)
    CD \WINDOWS
    (you should be at C:\Windows directory)

Ren Win.com Win.old (enter)

Exit

(This should get you back to Windows).

Use a boot disk to perform a clean re-installation of Windows 98.

There are other options to look at but I believe these are simpler alternatives. Don't forget that you may have a problem with ram.

Michael Chiew
    Michael Chiew

Shane

billybilly

You don't need to use a book disk to get in C:\Windows directory to rename Win.com to Win.old. Sorry about that.

Click START|PROGRAMS|MS-DOS MODE and you'll be at the C:\ prompt. From there, CD \WINDOWS and Ren Win.com Win.old.

Here's how you can make a boot disk that allows you to boot with CD-ROM support.

Double-click MY COMPUTER icon. Double-click CONTROL PANEL. Double-click ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS icon. When ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS PROPERTIES box appears, click STARTUP DISK tab, click CREATE DISK to start the process of making your boot disk.

Use this boot disk to do a clean re-installation of your Windows 98.

We'll explore other options if your re-installation fails to correct the problem.

Are the exclamation mark and the red X mark still in Device Manager. If so, we'll looking at a remediable device conflict.

Michael Chiew
    Michael Chiew

Hey, Michael, what do you do for a living anyway? You seem to be at one with Windows.

Thank you Michael you were right installing windows 98 solved the problem and a few others, sorry for the delay but your help was much appreciated--B

Billybilly

Mighty good of you to post back.

Feels good, doesn't it, that you've finally licked the problem.

Piyopiyo13

I don't do anything for a living. I'm just living, and learning.

Windows is an obsession. System files fascinate me. When a puzzling item comes along, I raid the bookstores in search of an answer. Then I practice, practice, practice. I won't let it go. I'm constantly wrestling with it.

Michael Chiew
    Michael Chiew