Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice!

Hybrid View

I need some advice!

Hello all.

I need some serious advice about what kind of computer to buy.

The kind of work I do is mostly computer graphics and web designs. I dispose of a budget of about $1000 (can).

I've done researches about the Athlon XP and Intel P4. I've never used anything else but Intel for my work and had hoped to move on to a P4 1.5 system.

I must admit, after reading many reviews and comparing all the benchmarks result I could find, the AMD Athlon XP got my attention. The famous Price vs Performance issue and Intel's use of the ever expansive RDRAM got me to think if I should stick with Intel or move to AMD.

Furthermore, some benchmarks claim that Intel is better for my type of work and others, AMD.

I don't really mind spending the extra buck for an Intel based system but which one should I settle for (which one is better) Intel or AMD? I also read many complains about AMD based system experiencing frequent crashes, is that true?

Let me know what you think along with what mobo I should go for and why.

I thank you all in advance.
    Diamond

All AMD prosessors have calculating errors so I would stick with Intel prosessors, but note that if you overclock an Intel prosessor it will get calculating errors as well.

Thanks

I'm sorry to reply so late. Thanx for the info man!

I will stick with an Intel cpu and I'm not into overclocking

I read some of your posts (you really know your stuff!) so I was wandering if you give me some more tips.

The motherboard I plan to go for is the Intel D850BGC (I had an Intel mobo on my old P2 233 system and that baby stuck through thick and thin). For the memory, 256megs of rdram.

I know this board only supports 423 pins cpu models but its more affordable.

What I would like to do is get a scsi hardrive but I believe I'll need a scsi card to connect it to the motherboard. Would you recommand it or simply stick with an IDE hardrive?

If you have suggestions about cpu/mobo/memory combos, feel free to let me know

Thanx in advance
    Diamond

I would recomend you to get an SCSI harddrive, but you will need
    a SCSI controller to connect it.

So the cheapest way, if you are going to use SCSI is to find a motherboard with an onboard SCSI controller, they are more expencive than regular motherboards, but cheaper than buying 1 motherboard and 1 SCSI controller.

But if you are buying a SCSI controller to connect to the motherboard, instead of an integrated one, make sure there are
    cache on the controller.
    I would suggest a controller like the Adaptec 39160 or 29160.

Originally posted by D`Sypher
    All AMD prosessors have calculating errors...
    Where did you get this piece of information?

It`s a well known fact in the industry, and I saw some tests in a testing center that proved it.
    I don`t know if this information is to be found on the internet though.

Same issue ... may we have more info on the subject ?

I do aware of certain faults with K5/6/6-2/3/+ series processors, but so far didn't hear of any single one with K7 line (Athlon, Duron, etc). Well, except some strange bug with MPEG2 video, but only heard of this, never witnessed by myself.

So - anything we don't know ?

Best Regards ...

All I know is that it has to do with the way AMD makes their prosessors and the cost of producing them.

What I`ve seen and heard they have a calculating error in the 7`th -10`th decimal if they are stressed, and this kind of error may not be visible to an ordinary user at all, but may also be visible in all kinds of different ways as well one of them is errors playing video as you mentioned, and another is returning wrong results in big calculations and millions of other small errors you might experience.

It`s a calculated risk from AMD to keep these errors too keep the cost of the prosessors down, and this is why they are so cheap.

this is also why Intel prosessors can be overclocked, because Intel prosessors might be prodused as an 1000MHz and sold as an 600MHz because 600MHz is the highest speed the prosessor can work without the calculating errors.

Well it really is an interesting insight to their processors. I hope what you say is really true...

Thank you very much for all this valuable info.

It was very instructive and helpful. You guys are the best!

Thank you again to all of you.
    Diamond

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar
    well actually intel processor just cost lots because they are a total scam and a rip-off, has nothing to do with being reliable

Hey

I didnt see anyone mention it yet, but video card is going to be an important choice to. If you do alot of web design and computer graphics...You are going to want something with the power to push this software. A ge-force 3 ti500 can be had for about 350, and is a very valuable piece. It will also outlast almost everything on the market currently.

-Lord Sech

OMG DON'T LISTEN TO THAT !$!@^! (D'SYPHER)

This is a big load of ****!

D'SYPHER YOU REALLY NEED TO STOP THIS!

Don't listen to D`Sypher

Bugs in processors don't go unnoticable. If AMD had a bug in their processor it would be on news and officially posted on their website. Try to search CNET for example and you won't find any reports about bugs or "calculation errors" in AMD processor.
    D`Sypher wrote that those "calculation errors" are "well-known". "Well-known" to whom? To a neighbor downstairs? Industry does not seem to know about such facts.

Diamond