Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice!

these forums are starting to seem like a soap opera...how bout we just drop the calculation error theory and start providing some constructive opinions....and i guess that would be my opinion.

Later

Kurylo

Well I don`t actually know if there is a calculating error in the Athlon, but last year I visited a test center where they were
    testing prosessors, and all the AMD prosessors they tested had
    calculating errors and Very few of the Intel prosessors had.
    But they did not test the Athlon, and maybe AMD has fixed the errors on this one, but I seriously doubt it.

From Kurylo link, "Intel underestimated the significance of the miscalculations." The matrix A3=A1/B1*B1 did not equal A3 provides proof of a calculating error.

I don't believe anyone disagrees there are manufacturing runs that produce a defective lot. But to indicate that a particular run proves all production of every series (AMD) is defective is an incorrect assumption addressed on this thread.

I don't believe a reputable manufacturer will knowingly market a defective part. Apparently, a numeral to the 7th power is significant and would require corrective action.

There are instances were a manufacturer learns after a release and keeps secret from the consumer of known defects. Those manufacturers make a calculated monetary (ethics aside) that a recall would be more expensive than product liability costs associated with potential consumer damages. Firestone tires and some auto makers come to mind.

ALOHA
    MakeUp YOUR Mind ~D`Sypher~

1st YOU say:

"All AMD prosessors have calculating errors so I would stick with Intel prosessors,
    but note that if you overclock an Intel prosessor it will get calculating errors as well ."

NOW You say:

"Well I don`t actually know if there is a calculating error in the Athlon , but last year I visited a test center where they were
    testing prosessors, and all the AMD prosessors they tested had
    calculating errors and Very few of the Intel(Thought you said No Problem Unless OverClocked?!)prosessors .
    But they did not test the Athlon, and maybe AMD has fixed the errors on this one, but I seriously doubt it."

Does anyone have the Key to D`Sypher~ D`Sypher!!!

The KEY? "ALL"+"Well I don`t actually know"="but I seriously doubt it"

Sounds like a Calculating Error to Me!

Lots A Fun~ALOHA~BobViper

Please, don't stick to every word. Everyone of us do mistakes. Me too . We're not PCs to write everything identically, but human.

BobViper

Too ********: Yes all the AMD prosessors tested had calculating errors, but Athlon was not tested.
    Then I would call that All AMD prosessors.

And they found a smaller calculating error in 1 in about 10000 Intel prosessors, and I would call that none!

And Yes they found calaulating errors in all Intel prosessors when they were overclocked.

OK?

Dear Diamond Dog,

“Sh*t-throwing” being as much fun as it is, I believe if there were any known problems with the Athlon, it would be pretty public. I would expect something similar to when Intel processors have had problems. Once someone discovered it, everybody posted it.

In regard to possible calculation errors, I can tell you the last prime number discovered (no easy task, trust me) was done on an Athlon 800! Just try and get that done on a current Intel processor.

You gave no statement as to the purpose of this computer. So it is hard to advice you how to spend your money and on which components to spend it on. If you’re building your computer, and comfortable with doing so, there is little question that you will get far more “bang for your buck” with an Athlon system. It is very difficult to image you encountering any significant problems at all with an Athlon system. Heck, the performance you get compared to the money you spent (or should I say “did not spend”!) for the Athlon should make you VERY Happy.

Good Luck.

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar
    lets see some links to this proof dude, you gotta be able to backup EVERYTHING that you say here with evidence from a non bias source such as Tomshardware.com

if you have no case then shut up

-Shawn

Reality~101

ALOHA
    Lets just checkIn with Reality! Even if the errors exist just as D`Sypher states~SO WHAT!?!

There are Errors in Everything and EveryONE at some point!The ONLY questions In REALITY Would-Should be are~~~

1~Do the Errors have ANY actual(Provable)effects in Real World Computing?

2~If So,At what level-When EXACTLY-What programs fail because of These ERRORS?????

3~If the level of computing Required to have these Errors show up is beyond All reasonable computing uses~Why would I Recommend someone Buy a more Perfect+Expensive CPU just to have a ErrorFree CPU that WILL NEVER be noticed by that person??!

The Error Info is interesting to note~However the Conclusions are conjecture and inconclusive~Perry Mason-I Think?

ALOHA

This is a situation where D'Sypher may have observed component testing or may read about a calculating error some time in the past and is confused. The comments made are grossly overstated and misleading. An attempt to justify earlier comments is beginning to get ridiculous but understandable from a ego protection standpoint. We have all experienced such actions in other people and speaking for myself I have on occasion done same. However, the best reaction is to admit making an error. We all have that problem and can excuse that fault in other people.

I fully agree with you.....

KenKeith

You may think what you want, but I`m not confused.

And I do admit errors when I am wrong.

I too wish to respectfully disagree with D'Sypher
    Hey, if you drop the "respectfully" part, I'm up there with you.

D`Sypher seems to prefere certain components (Intel,SCSI), and is always trying to discredit any other option or opinion. he is fully aware that people in the "know" don't buy Intel processors for the reasons already put forward in this thread, so he jumps in quickly with both feet in the hope of crushing any other opinion (sometimes before any is given).

What I would ask D`Sypher is "What is your interest in Intel and SCSI?" and "Why can you not accept that in some cases Neither Intel nor SCSI are the best solution?".

and maybe AMD has fixed the errors on this one, but I seriously doubt it.

This is pure SPECULATION, and if these so-called "Errors" have been fixed you leave yourself and SysOpt open to posible legal action. The way in which you have Tarred ALL AMD Processors with the same brush is Naive, to say the least. Your advice to Diamond Dog is as flawed as your love of anything Intel. Your policy seems to be to jump on the less well informed members. But you often (if not always) mis-represent your case by presenting H*%SE S£*T "Facts", and then when challenged, consistently refuse to present any form of proof to back-up your Wild claims. Might I suggest that for the future, when giving advice on ANYthing, you also post a link to the PROOF.

Diamond Dog You need to be aware that this forum is not an Intel bashing one , no seriously , But D`Sypher has done the same thing on many threads and it doesn't help anyone that asks for help, it just perpetuates the Myth that Intel is better than AMD. AMD processors are every bit as good as Intel's and in most applications (including computer graphics, but not video editing) they are now outperforming their rivals, the absolute truth is that the biggest difference between Intel and AMD is a possible 60% or more cost saving. that is why people buy AMD, The rest buy Intel because of the flashy packaging (name,logo,adverts,street cred). Whatever you choose, Lets hope it makes YOU happy.

Your Sys Spec should include: AMD XP 1600+ or higher
    Nvidia GF3 TI500
    512Mb DDR RAM
    SoundBlaster Live sound card
    add a decent Motherboard and you'll be able to upgrade in 2 years for little extra outlay, the same cannot be said for Intels products.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Strawbs; 12-14-2001 at 02:38 PM.

Strawbs

First of all not everything is posted on the internet, so you can use links as proof.

Second of all everyone should be happe that someone has other information and opinions than themselves as this encourages people to do thei own research.

But it seems to be those do not like that there are different opinions and different information on these posts, maybe you would prefer that everybody just listened too your advice and
    skipped doing their own research?

Well, I for one have always said that everyone should do their own research and not blindly follow anybodys advice.

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar
    people come here for information because it is hard to find non bias studies of things, Intel sometimes won't even donate a processor for a group to test unless they are assured to get rave reviews, that is why people come here asking for the opinions of the people who have tried the processors, the people who have absolutely nothing to gain and nothing to lose from bad mouthing a certain company who they truly dont like due to past bad experience such as me and ATI

i post a lot saying not to buy ATI because the drivers are just attrocious and you can even get that same message from any study there is. people hype Nvidia video stuff because of the almost weekly driver updates that actualy work

opinion from the people is very important here at sysopt