Thread: services.exe

services.exe

Does anyone know if nimda exploits services.exe in Win2k? When perfoming normal usage of my system, Let's say browsing with three windows open and then I go to open audiogalaxy or realjukebox, one application will hang for like 20 seconds due to the fact that services.exe is using 99% of the CPU at that moment. Then all of a sudden it release it's grip on the CPU and all apps work fine. Does anyone know what may be causing this? I have performed a full system scan with norton 2002 and it found nothing. Any Ideas?

System specs:
    900 Mhz Athlon T-bird
    384 megs ram Micron
    1 20 gig WD 7200 rpm
    1 30 gig WD 7200 rpm
    Geforce 2 mx 32 mb

I do not know about the nimda issue but try this if you are on a network, in fact this helps even if you are not:

Go into registry and perform the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace/D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF

What it does is correct a problem where W2K Explorer will hang momentarily on access to any network resource. This may be causing your program problem, because the little red X should go away and be connected instantenously on mappings it showes up on when accessed.

You can get more details about this here:

http://www.winoscentral.com/sections...ticle&artid=25

Thanks for the reply. I will try this registry adjustment but the problem has nothing to do with accessing network resources. All of the applications are strictly local apps so therefore network access isn't needed.

bump!

Anyone else have other ideas?