Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AMD's New Offering Outperforms P4

AMD's New Offering Outperforms P4

Hmmm looks like Micron's convinced. Definitely a step to a wider marketplace.

AMD

Go AMD!
    ------------------
    -SuRrEaL

hehehe, any one figured up how much you would save with the AMD? I'm sure it's still quite a bit, even with the newest proc out.

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar
    i can ballpark it in canadian dollars
    Intel
    -ASUS P4T-E INTEL® 850 CHIPSET PENTIUM® IV PGA478 M/B W/AUDIO
    -INTEL® PENTIUM® IV PGA478 RETAIL P4 2.0 GHZ 400MHZ FSB (NO MEMORY)
    $295.00
    $690.00
    $985.00 TOTAL

AMD
    -ASUS A7M266 ATX (SOCKET A) AMD 761 CHIPSET (ATA 100) 2 * DDR SDRAM W/AUDIO $275.00
    -AMD-OEM ATHLON XP 1800+ AXP1800DMT3C 1.53GHZ CPU SOCKET A
    $275.00
    $380.00
    $655.00 TOTAL

$985.00
    $655.00
    $330.00 DIFFERENCE

notice that the Intel processor is RETAIL and the AMD is OEM and the AMD mobo has the number 266 in there somewhere, i heard there was somethin bad about that but im not sure what....
    Last edited by [shawn@localhost /home]#; 11-07-2001 at 06:51 PM.

"AMD's newest offering out-ignites and out-combusts P4"

From Pricewatch:
    $386 Pentium 4 2.0GHz
    $265 - Athlon XP 1900

Savings:
    $121

- $30,000 (cost of fire damage)

= -$29,879
    Last edited by Ranma; 11-07-2001 at 10:21 PM.

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar
    cost of AMD suing you for bad publicity:
    -your soul :LOL

AMD will only overheat if you are a f***ing retard

my friend has an Athlon T-bird 1.4ghz and it only has 1 FAN and he keeps the cover of the case on all the time and the computer running 24/7 yet the heat sync is cold to the touch

i swear you have to TRY to make it overheat......

I think the point Ranma is trying to make is what has been published on www.tomshardware.com website.

If the fan should fail, for whatever reason, the AMD Athlon chip will self destruct within a second. The Intel chip just failed when it overheated, but was still usable once the temperatures came down.

The website noted that it could also cause a fire, so you want to be 100% sure your h/s fan combo will always work.

Ya' know, there are mobos that can prevent even a T-bird from going "Toasty!" As soon as they detect a fan failure, they shut down the whole works. And anyway, even if your fan failed (unlikely though that might be) and your Athlon fried, you can practically afford to buy another one and STILL be under the price of P4, at least before they lowered the price

From some of the reports I have read, the motherboards that have this feature do not react fast enough. The folks at www.tomshardware.com are working on a design that will work for the XP.

My motherboard (MSI K7T Turbo Limited) has a temp alert feature, but that only sends an alert to software that can recognize the alert and shutdown the system. If this chip can fry within a second, then this type of alert is not fast enough.

Intel handles this thrermal problem within their processor.

I must admit I haven't read up on it very much, because frankly I'm not the least bit concerned that my fan is going to poop out on me. However, don't we gauge our processors in "millions" of operations a second? I believe that one of these operations could send a signal to kill the power in MUCH less than one second. That's only my opinion though, I'm not an engineer. Yet

Actually, the thermo probe is not controlled by the processor. Some component on the motherboard gets the temp readings. There is an interesting article that explains how they fixed this problem called "AMD Responds: Protection Against Thermal Death".

http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/...029/index.html

Jimstep,

As reported at Tom's, the Pentium 4 doesn't even experience heat failure-- it just slows itself down. That's the best possible situation: even the loss of data isn't a concern (perhaps some data could be misconstrued if a person was taking benchmarks).
    Last edited by Ranma; 11-08-2001 at 02:35 PM.

If the fan on your heatsink fails, the heatsink does not stop working. Sure, the temperature will rise, but if you have half a brain cell you'll have some kind of temperature detecing program (I use motherboard monitor 5, which CAN shut windows down in a snap if you want it to). If you're refering to the tom's hardware video of the 4 cpu's having their HSF's removed, you'll notice that they removed the entire thing. If the fan fails, the heatsink continues to dissapate heat (just much slower than with the fan) and still gives you at least a minute before permanent damage sets in, giving you ample time to yank the plug on your PSU.

"I use motherboard monitor 5, which CAN shut windows down in a snap if you want it to."

Nothing beats having to use special third party software to compensate for a company's inadequacies/incompetance.

Hmmm....... All these Intel people - having nightmares because they read an article about what happens if their heatsink falls off while their computer runs unattended ..... then their hardware monitoring software fails to shut down the computer ..... then their overheat protection setting in their BIOS fails to shut down their computer..... then a spark flies from their molten processor and ignites that oil soaked rag they keep inside their computer case..... as the rag ignites violently it blows the metal sides off their computer case and catches their curtains on fire..... the fire roars through their house but the smoke detectors don't go off because they forgot to change their batteries when they turned their clocks back...... they wake up to a smoke filled house and frantically dial 911, but the fire department is too busy chasing down anthrax hoaxes......

Go see your doctor - they have medication that can help you.