Thread: I need a cd burner...questions

I need a cd burner...questions

Consider me a novice....I want to purchase a FAST cd burner. This will primarily be used by my kid for music.....What do I need to know, what do U need to know to make a wise purchase?? Alan

Fast burners are great if you have the CDR's that will accept the speeds that your CD burner runs at. (ie, some CDR's are only made to go up to 10X, etc).

What it really comes down to is price and Software. Would you pay $100 more for a burner that will save you 4 minutes in burning a music CD? For me (just my opinion), it really doesn't make that much sense - especially considering the top of the line burner you buy today will be mediocre next year

For me the most important thing to look at is Software. I consider NERO to be the best software on the face of the earth for creating CD's - Music or otherwise. I won't even look at a burner unless I see it has NERO with it.

Just my .02,

Gary

deltaf508,

Wow, am I glad Iread your post. I just picked up an "inexpensive" cd burner, but it came with Nero. Being a novice to this area of tech myself, I didn't know whether I had thrown my money away in a fit of cheapness, but it looks like I got a good deal.

tightlines,

You gotta keeper Sometimes it is hard to find burners that come with NERO anymore. Most of them have EZ Coaster Creator (EZ CD Creator ) You will love NERO - especially if you like to burn music. It writes MP3 to CD on-the-fly and you can normalize the sounds of different files so that it is all one steady level coming out It is a very powerful program. And the makers stay on top of there game. Chances are there's already an update to the software that came with your version....check their website and see....

- NERO gets five smilies

BTW: What brand burner did you get?

Gary

Gary,
    BUSlink RW1640. I haven't done a thing with it yet, other than to install it. I have never burned a CD. I'm downloading version 5.5551 of Nero at the moment along with some pdf and updated help files.

You're gonna have a blast

Gary

I have a Richo bunner 40x20x10 which is burn proof.

Burn proof is the only way to go.

Like the others, do not go out and buy the top of the range becasue u will be wasting your money. Get say the second top modle. From all the stuff that i ready before i went out and brought my burnner from a swap meet. Richo and Asus seem to be the best.

Good Luck

Ricoh do make very good drives, Plextor are almost certainly the best.

In terms of speed - quite honestly you won;t really be chomping at the bit if you get a 12x writer - which is the entry level for Burn-Proof technology... all the latest drives, from teh 12x righ t up to the 24x still have a CDRW speed limit of 10x and all read at 30x-40x.

IF you want something that will copy anything, then look at a Plextor or Lite-On 24x10x40x. I've got a couple of the Plextor 12x10x32x drives and a Ricoh CDRW/DVD combo 12x10x32x8x... all of these drives burn at their maximum speeds when you're using the right media, regardless of what else is happening on the system. Apparently the Plextor 16x10x32x was a bit of a botch-job as were quite a few manufacturers 16x and 20x drives (don;t get me wrong, there's loads of good ones out there), but they were all trying to get the CDR speeds up as fast as they could and sacrificed a few of the features for that extra fraction of speed.

All I can say is 12x is plenty for almost any normal activity, unless you're planning on mass-producing these CD's or really desperate to get "one-up on the Jones's"...