Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: best firewall?

mcooper;
    I have an SMC Barricade broadband router, and it is an excellent hardware firewall; but it does not do anything for outbound traffic.
    Thus the need for a software firewall.

tooleaky.zensoft.com blew right through my zonealarm and pc-cillin2000 websecurity/real time scan.

ZA with internetlock stopped it. Removing internet explorer as an allowed program stopped it. I just enabled the ZA lock timer so that when I am not watching/using my PC, it stops all internet activity.

I do not write code so I can only imagine that someone can modify tooleaky so that any other program other than internet explorer can be used to violate your PC.
    Other browsers, programs with autoupdate(like PCcillin and ZA), could possible be used.

Where can I get ATGuard? Did it block tooleaky while allowing normal IE usage?

I have also used the lastest Mcafee personal firewall. It came up clean with a DSLreports.com scan and the grc scans. I dumped it because Mcafee Vshield kept hosing my PC.

Earnie86-- how did you get pccillin to block tooleaky? What version are you using? Titanium or 2000?
    Last edited by donutz28; 11-14-2001 at 10:53 PM.

Lynksys+ZoneAlarm

Aloha
    If you follow the link ~http://linksys.zonelabs.com/promo.html~
    You maybe sad to see the LynkSys page
    "With every purchase of a Linksys Instant Broadband Router or Gateway, you gain easy Internet sharing and always-on hardware security. And now, when you upgrade to the latest firmware, your Linksys router easily integrates with the award-winning ZoneAlarm Pro and PC-cillin 2000 for comprehensive, best-of-breed Internet security"! Somebody else likes ZoneAlarm....

I haven't started with Linux Yet but will start playing Soon!!
    Any suggestions on best linux firewall setup?

I also like RegRunII~Checks your reg-ini and other files regularly and at startup and shutdown notifies any changes and options return to old or keep changes~This too is cool protection against internal attacks!!!

Aloha

donutz28;
    I was using pccillin's 30 day trial, with all the filters activated; I have since removed it since my 30 days have expired. I haven't decided whether to buy it or not, it slows down my system a lot.

BobViper: yeah I saw that product announcement about Zonelabs @ Linksys. I was rather surprised, but whatever floats your boat. It obviously works for thousands of people so I am not dogging ZoneAlarm. It is just that I have been working with Firewalls for many years and ZoneAlarm is hardly what I'd consider a good firewall simply because it does not follow the same basis as traditional firewalls and it doesn't have nearly the ease of use or configurability as what I am used to.
    As far as Linux firewalls, the learning-curve is quite steep just as it is for the OS. I've used the "integrated" ipchains and netfilter (with NAT) with great success after days of configuring. There are tools to make configuration easier but I couldn't find a good one at the time and don't need one now. Check out http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resources/firewalls-1.html . Also, gnatbox (.com) was quite cool for a dedicated firewall.
    The only problem I've had with Linksys is the UI sucked under anything other than IE. But that should be fixed with the latest firmware that I need to download. And yes, as someone brought up, it has a limited number of rules and you cannot filter based on destination, only source to some extent.

ZoneAlarm Trojan?

Just checked a New program I am testing~Tauscan~Database lists a Trojan called~ZONEALARM KILLER~anyone run into it Yet?!?! ALOHA

Firewalls- my impressions

I usually recommend Zone Alarm, but I've also used Tiny, Blace Ice Defender and At Guard. Norton bought At Guard and rereleased it under their own name, so the two products are basically the same thing. ( I sure Norton has added lots of nifty bells and whistles, but from what I've read they didn't rewrite it, just tacked on)

Impressions:

Zone Alarm: All incoming and outgoing connections must be approved. This does not solve all problems, but it's a pretty good start. If you download anything and everything from whomever, nothing will protect you from your own stupidity. But Zone alarm is easy to use, free and locks things down pretty good.

Tiny: Works great, but probably not as easy to understand and configure for most folks when compared to Zone Alarm. Difficulty in configuring can also = not secure when someone sets it up wrong. Good little firewall, no complaints.

At Guard/Norton: Great product, but costs money. I'll take free instead. Also not as simple and easy to use as Zone Alarm.

BlackIce Defender: I hated this product. Lots of false of alarms, and it makes the decisions for you as to what is approved and what is a threat. Definately not what I'm looking for.

Hardware based Firewalls: These are just baby routers, and do a pretty good job closing ports. There have been security issues though, make sure you get a newer one, or the appropriate patches for whatever you get, and make sure you don't have the web interface accessable to the internet, or else someone can log in and disable it.

Hardware vs. Software- For me it's as simple as Free vs. $100. I like the little baby routers, but Zone Alarm works just fine. As for which is more secure...heck...who cares, either will fit the bill just fine for home use.

Linux/BSD/etc. based firewall: If you know what you're doing, have fun. But building your own firewall rules for a home firewall is probably not the best place to start.

kinda late...

I am surprised that nobody mentioned the excellent

NeoWatch v2.4.8 along with Neotrace v3.25

' have tried Norton, Sysgate, @Guard, ZA Pro, McAfee, and others,

All or most recommend disabling any built-in firewalls (XP, etc) prior to installation.

Zone Alarm PERIOD.. anything else is leaving yourself open..

I have tried several firewalls as well. I have to agree that ZA is pretty kickin.

I tried Sygate Personal firewall which was supposed to be all that and a bag of chips but after navigating through numerous pages of instructions and still not getting it configured right, I realized it was causing the infamous windows hang on my machine and other problems with programs such as unreal. Hey, you mess with my OS stability and my main form of stress relief, you're automatically banned from my list of decent proggy's.

I haven't used Norton.

Black Ice sucks but I'm sure you can dig up a review on that topic.

Enjoy!!!

murphy which is a firewall thats comes with AVX antivirus is the best by far it even incoorperates a registry checker[sometimes annoying] but ive done tests and im tellign you this is the one guys..... no doubt.

here's a review on murphy and it doesn't cut it. www.thesoftwarecorner.com/reviews/avx.shtml

thanks earnie86

cool thank earnie86 that was a good review on murphy....

maybe i should run another firewall in conjunction with murphy..
    i have had no problems at all with murphy.... needless to say that AVX is the best antivirus program i have ever seen....

but as for murphy well.... they need some work i guess..

FireWall

Mcafee's new VirusScanner, Firewall combo is by far the best Ive tried... you must have basic knowledge though. I've used Norton, Black Ice, ZOnealarm, Tiny... but this one takes it...

Cheddarhead

I've used both ZoneAlarm (the free version) and Tiny Firewall. I found that ZoneAlarm had a few problems if you were running a webserver on a Win2k box (ie the WWW service wouldn't start up at all). Switching to Tiny solved that issue.
    . o O Reality is what you decidE O o .