Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: best firewall?

Originally posted by henry
    What about linux firewall?

Anyone had any experience in using a linux-based or BSD-based firewall and does it block out most of the attacks against it?
    Try smoothwall. It is better than most firewalls easy to use, including very expensive firewalls from others. The one draw back is it does not use the 2.4.xx kernel, 2.2.xx only. It can be found here http://www.smoothwall.org/gpl/home/

Originally posted by mcooper
    There are tools to make configuration easier but I couldn't find a good one at the time and don't need one now
    A good configuration tool if you do not want a dedicated firewall is Bastialle

tiny

tiny software makes a good firewall and its free
    http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tin...A3&pg=download

at the end of the day nothing is perfect. a lot of the people recommending ZA haven't tried Tiny as an alternative, and they really should to get a good idea of what is out there.

its like saying i've tried motorbikes and they are way better than cars, when you've never even been for a ride in a decent car.

did anyone notice any of the ZA 'fan club' saying 'oh i tired tiny and it was ****'?

none of them even mentions another firewall at all. its all 'ZA rules' with no real argument.

don't get me wrong, ZA is good, but those using it should at least try something else (properly) before they bet their lives on it being the best there is.

I tried ZA, I tried BID, I tried TPF and i tried the XP firewall.

after finding out that XP firewall doesn't keep an eye on outbound traffic i switched back to Tiny (which works a treat under XP Pro) and haven't looked back.

just my two cents worth.

Norton Firewall is the only firewall where you have complete control over what goes in and out without having those nagging boxes that ask if you allow or deny the traffic.
    Zonealarm is useless if you are sitting on a different computer than the firewall because of all the questions.
    In Norton you can create rules tha allows or denies whatever
    kind of traffic you want to.
    The only time you need to go over to the firewall machine is
    to change any of the rules.

i favor Nortons Internet Security firewall...i had a bad experience with zonealarm uninstall and it put me off...Norton firewall balances security with ease of configuration and use which is great for the novice.....

ZA is a good firewall but it was a memory hog in 98. Right now i am using the firewall that came with linksys router and it seems to very good when testing it at grc.com