Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: best firewall?

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar

best firewall?

what is the best firewall?

i heard that Zone Alarm is completely useless, that is all i know

ZoneAlarm is THE defacto winner in the best Firewall category there is. It kicks major **** and beats out all other firewalls. It doesn't leak anywhere.

It's even better in the fact that it's FREE!!!

NOTHING beats ZoneAlarm.

Only problem is, at the moment it's not working that well with XP but it WILL. I know they are working to fix the problem.

the source who said Zone Alarm licked *** is actually about 7 people

-the first 4 who said it was useless were 4 tech guys on the TV show 'Dotto on Data' which is run out of BC, Canada. Dotto is just a guy who knows lots about computers, one of his guests was the senior systems analyst for some company in Vancover, one of his guests was a technical support guy for some other company, another guest was a computer programmer and another guest was head of security for some company in Vancover and they all agreed that Zone Alarm does absolutely nothing

-the next 2 people are Martin Sergent and Pat somebody from the TV show 'The Screen Savers' on TechTV who said Zone Alarm was not the greatest

-the last guy is a DLL coder in Switzerland who posts in another forum im a regular to, trust me he knows his stuff

Hello

I vote for zonealarm by purchasing the pro version; not that I needed it as the free version was doing the job.

In this forum it has been noted that Syquest is quite good. I suppose it is just a matter of taste and individual needs. I tried It but ZA pro's set and forget had already won me over. Norton's offering with its rules ,etc. would take more time than I was willing to invest.

Oksr.
    OKsr

Ultimate Member
    ZoneAlarm. Period. Easier to configure than Norton, which also works well. Much more intuitive in operation than McAfree, which is not as effective in blocking, actually leaves some ports open to entice then stop probes, kind of like leaving your front door open in hopes of catching a burglar attemting entry...ditto for blackice Defender.

Check out Steve Gibson at http://www.GRC.com for more solid info.

so i guess those TV shows are paid off by certain companies

Tinysoftware's personal firewall is as good as Zonealarm. It has MD5 signatures, and is very secure. Steve Gibson hasn't tested it for quite some time last time I checked.
    I just went to grc.com and tried the new version of leaktest on tiny's firewall and it passed. The version from tiny that is on his site is several builds ago. It is now available from Tinysoftware's site, with a newer version available at the yahoo site mentioned there.
    Last edited by earnie86; 11-04-2001 at 06:20 PM.

I've just switched to Tiny. ZA didn't like my new Windows XP. My dial-up connection kept dying after an hour or so, but I've had no trouble since switching. I've heard that ZA Pro users do not have any XP trouble.

I think I like Tiny better anyway. I believe it's just as good. as ZA. I quess it's just what a person wants.

The WINNER~ZoneAlarm

ALOHA Easy to setup ZoneAlarm is the BEST~software based firewall~Perhaps your High Techies were talking servers and hardware based firewalls
    Aloha~Bob

no they are talking home use.... because they were taking phone calls from home users.......

i kinda figured something was up becasue they were bolstering WindowsXP up the ***

oh i recommend you get XP it has this backup thingy and its safe and blah blah i get paid off...

the tipoff was when he mixed the words Windows and Safe in the same sentence

I guess no firewall is any good. go here http://tooleaky.zensoft.com

I have been using ZoneAlarm and I agree that it is great. Dotto and 'The Screen Savers' are just saying what their sponsors want to hear. Besides, installing Norton is like having someone messing with your machine anyway.

Fire Wall

I personaly like Black Ice Defender or called Network Ice. I have had no trouble with it at all. You can download a trial version. Try it.
    Last edited by leebolan; 11-06-2001 at 06:50 PM.

Took the test at http://tooleaky.zensoft.com/ , my AtGuard 3.22 did a fine job
    Recommended.

Best Regards ...

ND;
    I used to use atguard. Is it still available, and do you know if it will work with xp? Thanks.
    I found it and so far it works very well with xp and tiny.
    Last edited by earnie86; 11-06-2001 at 08:33 PM.