Thread: Static is Bad!

Static is Bad!

I just want to say if it has static I can fry it. =) Just call me Electro Buzz! I have fried three mobo's in 2 months including a new asus a7v 133a . If I didn't like Mobo's so much I would stop messing with them! AHHHHHH!

Lets all sing the static song. "Static sucks. It really really sucks.
    Static sucks. It really really sucks!"

Sorry, I lost my head there for a minute.
    I really hate that song.......

I've been computing for 6 years now and never once have I run into ESD problems. I think its a myth propagated by the manufacturers of ESD equipment.

eww!

heh
    I touched the mobo and wham electric currents flew from my finger tips and that was the end . every single time it happened like that. I'm thinking about giveing up computing and joining the X-men!

Funny these conversations always pop up in the winter. (less humid = more static)
    A good deal of equipment has been destroyed by ESD events. please read these old posts....
    http://sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2633
    and here is a link about prevention:
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/002222.html
    Regards,
    Nathan G.

=)

Nathan you are a good good man!

Lol - I never had a problem with static ever, my friend use to freak out "Kim, get that hard-drive off the carpet!" I'd look at him like he was mental.I distinctly remember laying a brandnew mobo on my carpet and hooking it to my power supply from my 'built' computer Last summer- That mobo Never worked, I still have it in a static bag in it's Box.Shortly after, a couple days, I laid my 20 gig on my living room carpet to copy 8 gigs of music to a backup 10 gig Western Digital in a more easily accessible computer- I laid my Hdrive on the carpet next to the computer case after I had copied over files successfully, when I went to boot up, there was no operating system what-so-ever! All I did was place my Hdr on the carpet, I didn't slide it wildley 15 feet across the floor and watch it stop perfectly next to it's home..I had to re-install everything. Which is time consuming we all know. I am grateful I copied all my MP3's onto another drive, "just incase".
    So now I am more careful, I try to utilize and not throw away the static bags, I NEVER place my hard-drive on anything except a bag or lay it in my case if I'm removing it for any number of reasons. I know for a fact you can take a 80Mbytes'Conner' Hard-drive and put it through total hell and it will STILL WORK! What's up with that?