Thread: Trouble Dual booting Win2K and 98SE

Trouble Dual booting Win2K and 98SE

I just got finished building my first computer a while ago and I put Windows 98SE on it. Before I put Windows on it, I used fdisk and created 3 partitions. The primary partition I have Win98 on is a 12.6 GB partition and the other 2 are 12.2GB partitions. I tried to do a dual boot with Win2K and get all the way up to the part in setup where it asks me if I want to Format the partition using FAT or NTFS, Convert the partition to NTFS, or Leave the file system intact, and I selected Convert the partition to NTFS and after that the screen says "Please wait while setup examines your disk." After it gets done examining my disk it says, "Setup has determined that drive D: is corrupted and cannot be repaired. Setup cannot continue." Then I tried to format the partition using FAT and using NTFS and after it gets done formatting it says it wasn't able to format and that my drive is corrupted and cannot be fixed. Since I had another hard drive that I was going to put into my other computer I fdisked that hard drive, which is also a 40GB hard drive and i put 98se on it then i tried to dual boot with 2K and the same thing happened. Then i found out from someone that it might have something to do with my chipset which is a ALi Magic chipset. I went to the manufacturer of my motherboard, which is iWill and downloaded a patch for my chipset. After doing that i tried to setup Win2K again and the same thing happened. Then I tried to update my BIOS and flashed my BIOS but that had no effect on installing Win2k. Another thing I tried was not to dual boot, but to just upgrade 98se to win2k but the same message comes up. I don't know what else to do. This is the Computer i put together:

Motherboard: iWill KA266plus
    CPU: AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
    RAM: 256MB DDR RAM
    Hard drive: Western Digital 40GB
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 64MB DDR
    Sound Card: Philips PCI Sound card

I would appreciate it if someone could help me out. Thanks.

I've tried using Western Digital's "Data Lifeguard Tools" that came with the hard drive and tested my hard drive and it came up as having no errors. I also tried downloading Western Digitals "Data Lifeguard Tools" from their website, just in case the one that i got with the hard drive wasn't working right. I used the one i downloaded to check my hard drive and it also found no errors. Does anyone else have any ideas?

IDE controller problem? If using 66/100, try on standard IDE33 channel.

How do I change to IDE 33 channel?

You'd connect the IDE cable to the first standard IDE connector on the motherboard instead of to the 66/100 connector. Same cable can be used. Sometimes it's the 66/100 controller that causes the problem. Sometimes, after w2k is installed, you can install the 66/100 controller drivers into w2k, move the drive back to the 66/100 connector, and it will then work OK. But, again, sometimes not.