Thread: how come my 41GB IBM 60GXP shows only 31GB???

how come my 41GB IBM 60GXP shows only 31GB???

I just bought this hard drive and it is completely new. It says that its capacity is 41 GB. but when i format the hard drive, it says that it is only 31GB. I can understand if it says 38 or 39GB because i know the real size is always smaller than what it says, but i do not think my hard drive should be at 31GB. I used IBM's diskmanager 2000 to format my hard drive, and i used fdisk to see if the disk was at 100% and it says it was. Any one have any other suggestions?

Mainboard bios limitation? Check for an update?...
    I'm still learning 24/7

Re: how come my 41GB IBM 60GXP shows only 31GB???

Try with "Partition Magic" to corect your problem.
    good luck
    Mihajlo Bakalic

i have windows xp. where can i get teh partition magic?

hi,i am having the same problem with windows xp so you are not alone. i have a 41 gig ibm telsomething and dont have a solution either let me know if you solve it

thanks in advance.........

Were you trying to format your drive using a FAT32 partition instead of an NTFS partition?

There is a partition creation/formatting issue using the FAT32 file system instead of the NTFS filesystem. This is an excerpt from the KB article: "Limitations of FAT32 File System" Article ID: Q184006

"...You cannot format a volume larger than 32 GB in size using the FAT32 file system in Windows 2000. The Windows 2000 FastFAT driver can mount and support volumes larger than 32 GB that use the FAT32 file system (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create one using the Format tool. This behavior is by design. If you need to create a volume larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system instead..."

See the Microsoft KB article for more information.

Eventhough this information pertains to Win2k, the header of the article is also for WinXP.

Hope this helps,

John

As I read through this mesages I come to the conclusion that you should try to make two partitions on your disk.The one way to do that is to use Partition Magic as I saed in my last mesage.
    You can find it on sites like www.kazaa.com(I'm not recomending you this because there are lot of people who have troubles with him,as me for example)or similar,or to ask your friends, ......(I dont know for other place on internet)
    I think I read on site www.partitionmagic.com that SW for download from that site is demo and that you can't make partitions.
    You need version 7 or mabey 6(mabey is becayse of your Windows XP)

Mihajlo Bakalic

Ultimate Member
    Actually, in my opinion/experience, three partitions even better. Active about 2 gigs for OPERATING SYSTEM ONLY!

Second partition for cab files copy of os, all drivers and must have programs (word, printer, etc), abot 2 gigs also. #rd for data, junk, other (temp or not) programs etc.

This organization will save you lots of defragging time, it prevents most fragmentation. Also more stable, as OS is less likely to be corrupted/fragged etc. Easy to burn "restore disc" of C drive when all your drivers/patches are updated, makes for 10 minute clean reinstalls! D drive also can be copied to cd-esp rw because will occaionally update/change certain things. Game PC has a real good article at
    http://www.gamepc.com/article/print_...ticle=winsetup