Thread: Normal Boot Failure AHHHHH!

Normal Boot Failure AHHHHH!

I'm getting some weird voodoo when I start my Athlon 1.2 w/256 PC 2100 on an A7A266 board. This is my first build and I think I screwed up the OS install, WinME. When I start up (standard normal mode) I get the dreaded blue-screen error:
    An exception OE has occured at 0028:FF05A3BB in VxD---
    This was called from 0028:C14D43C3 in VxD---

It gives me the option to continue, but I run into a Windows Protection Error. This is all solved by starting up in Logged mode for some reason. However, Explorer.exe starts causing all kinds of havoc causing errors all over the place. I haven't screwed with the registry at all and I'm completely lost. PLEASE HELP ME!

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Try the system restore feature in accessories system tools I believe and pick a date on the way back machine prior to your problem see if that straightens it out.

Eh well...

This is the way it's been forever, I'm just scared I have to reformat and pray I don't screw it up again. Thanks for the idea though.

I have found that if you have the load video to memory or video shadowing in bios enabled before you install proper drivers for video card most especially AGP it will create havoc on first install. Just a thought.

Zarky

Zarky

Zarky,
    Could you read my post in the Tech Support forum title 'Faulty Processor?'. Do you think I should disable my video BIOS shadowing option? I haven't tried that yet.

-Brian

Never had a problem installing any OS with the AGP video bios shadow enabled on any of my systems.

A vxd is a virtual driver.

A vxd error is usually caused by an improper hardware driver install. Switching the modem or netcard to a different PCI without first uninstalling the software and drivers will cause this.
    Some virus scan programs will cause this. Especially McAfee on WinME without installing the upgrade version.
    And last, WinME is the buggiest OS most people have seen.

Sorry Brian I am going back to lurking. To easy to get insulted for making a suggestion in here. I don't think it is the shadowing it is the Video Ram Cacheable. These type problems are addressing issues which are Virtual problems.

I don't blame you for lurking Z, the IT crowd does tend to be a snooty crowd. That's why they get SNL skits done about them.

Consider swapping in a new stick of RAM. Flakey RAM can cause the problems you describe.
    arjay

I'm going to run memtest x86 tonight.

I bought Crucial memory specifically so I could avoid purchasing flasky RAM. I had a problem with this in the past. I hope that's not it else I'll be pissed for spending more money for **** RAM still. Thanks for the tip!

-Brian

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Zarky44 its not an insult just a statement or opinion which happens to be true, if it were me asking I would want as many facts and opinions as I could get to make a decent decision so you don't have to go back to lurking, hang out and throw a comment or two guy.

Cheers!

Guess, what? It was the RAM!!

I even ran memtest x86 and it passed. But after swapping every other component out of my system and playing with every BIOS setting, all that was left was the processor, motherboard or RAM at fault. I swapped out my 256MB Crucial PC133 RAM and put in an old stick of PC100 64MB and now it runs solid as a rock (install went perfect too).

-BrianK

Brian, glad you got it working.

Zarky, I wasn't trying to insult you.
    But, cacheing and shadowing the video ram can cause problems. Also depends on the vid card. My old AGP STB Velocity 4400 had this problem, it would only work with 1 or the other, but not both.

Forgot to add, that this is the first time I've seen bad memory cause a VXD error.
    See, we all learn something.

Imperion,
    I didn't start this thread so I don't think memory caused a VXD problem. I just had trouble copying .dlls from the Win2K / WinXP install disks and overall less than stable results on my system. (Win 98 worked fine though).
    I kind of took over this thread from the poor guy that started it (blindside).

-Brian