Thread: Best chipset and Motherboard for AMD?

Hybrid View

Best chipset and Motherboard for AMD?

Whats up all. I am going to be building a PC in the next few weeks and I am thinking of using the Amd XP chip. As far as mobos I think I want an ASUS just cause I have heard good things about them. But I dont know which to get? I know that I want to use the DDR ram. Please if you have any opinions post them. Thank you all

Currently, the best chipset out is the Via KT266A. The 'A' at the end is very important, as the regular KT266 is older and does not perform well. Unfortunately, I do not think Asus has a board with that chipset yet. I would recommend the Epox 8KHA+ motherboard, but if you must get an Asus, get one with the AMD760 chipset (A7M266). Another board you might want to take a look at is the Abit KG7-Raid.

I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my new Epox 8KHA+ which should be coming on tuesday
    The more I study, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I forget.
    The more I forget, the less I know.
    So why study???

I would say the any cheap sis 745 mobo is good, especially the new leadtek one with lots of oc features. if it is under $70, it's the best performance/cost value out there. the epox 8kha + is great, but can be double of a single sis 745 board (ecs ks75a)

Asus has a board that should release within a few weeks with the KT266-A chipset. Its called the A7V266-E, and has onboard sound and RAID. I think its worth waiting for.

Ultimate Member
    If you really require RAID, remeber that the onboard offerings are "lite" versions, not permitting full capabilites (ie 0+1) as a add on controller card. The onboard also utilizes the cpu more, requiring more system resources to run this "lite" RAID function.

I too used to be diehard Asus fan, but the VIA issues, and Asus unwillingness to provide even modicum of customer satisfaction/tech support (course, they're all gettin' that way), so I can hardly justify the premium for the name.

Personally, I had been waiting for the NFarce, but it has taken too long, nor do I want anything onboard, hence I have decided to try the Leadtek Winfast 7350 kda. With the mul;tipliers, dividers, and AMI bios, I sure wanna try pc333 (ddr 2700) memory and 166 (or higher) fsb settings.

Ultimate Member
    I would recommend the EPOX board as well..Very nice board.

Dputiger, glad to see I'm not one of the only ones left haunting these halls.

And I would say that the Epox is a very nice board too.