Thread: Monitors and eye strain

Monitors and eye strain

Hi everyone, I had a question come me to about monitors and the least amount of eye strain:
    My optometrist mentioned the current monitors are extremely bad for my eyes (my vision has been deteriorating since working with computers) due to the distance that exists between where the image exists (at the rear) and where it's projected on the screen. This causes your eyes to strained for a focal point.
    Could someone comment on this phenomenon and also explain how flat-panel monitors, static flat-screen monitors, dynamic flat-screen monitors, and regular curved-screen monitors all fit into this equation.

Much appreciated!

Re: Monitors and eye strain

Im not sure about the technical aspect, but im pretty sure this is real

Eye strain is a big concern with looking at monitors all day. I do not know how the different monitors affect your sight but make sure that you have the refresh rate adjusted right. This will reduce flicker and also reduce eye strain.

Make sure your monitor refresh rate is at least greater than 70Hz. The higher the less strain on your eye. I prefer about 85 because then I don't notice the 'flicker' of the monitor. I heard that flatscreen LCD's don't cause any eye strain because they don't 'flicker' at all. So if you're concerned about it, get an LCD.

Yeah the radiation screen burns my eyes and makes them hurt. I don't think that is good.
    It's good to take an eye break and go outside an let the cool fresh air brush them radiation eyes away but no stare up at the big radiation ball cause that will damage your eyes.

You could always wear sunglasses and have Johnny in the basement mix you up some eye medicine?

My kids have their monitor resolution set at 1024x768 if I have to do anything on their box I have to set to 800x600 or within ten minutes I start to get a headache.

I have read that the LCD monitors are much better for your eyes. And as a bonus they use a lot less power. I read the article in a CDW catalog.

I use the KDS Avitron AV-7TF, it's a flat-screen, not flat panel, monitor. It looks 20 times better than traditional monitors, but because it's so precise, it will kill your eyes. It is very bright, even with contrast at 70% and brightness at 40%, which is good because when it gets old, it won't have the dull look that regular crt's get after so many years even with brightness at 100%. So if you're looking for a monitor that has brightness and clarity for a long time i recommend flat screens, but they are so sharp they actually hurt your eyes more, if that makes any sense. I'm running it at 1024x768 at 75 Hz.

LCD Panels are much more EYE FRIENDLY compared to CRT monitors.

However, generally, you should look out in a distance once in a while as your eyes get strained from staring in just one object for a long time.

I can't look at a monitor with a resolution less than about 75.

My optometrist suggested that one of the reasons people suffer from eye strain is that they tend to keep their eyes open for extended periods, i.e. they don't blink as often as they should.

Best solution is having a break every so often.
    Lebo

I would suggest that you look into(pardon the pun !) the difference in the two tube types used in the industry. Those being:
    Aperture Grill and Shadow Mask.
    To my eyes, the Aperture Grill is overly bright, sharp and clear. I cannot look at them for any great length of time before eye fatigue sets in. The Shadow Mask tube has a much "softer" look to it. It's like comparing the difference between video tape vs film. I can't be certain, but I believe Mitsubishi makes a shadow mask tube.
    The Panasonic shadow mask is considered to be the best(by those in the monitor repair industry) I have found this to be the case myself. Don't know if Panasonic still makes them, but am typing this on a Viewsonic G771 (manufactured in 1997)which has the Panasonic tube. I mention this because you may find a great price on a used Panasonic tube monitor. I read somewhere that Samsung makes a shadow mask monitor. Something to "look into"

"Problems Lead to New Knowledge"
    "Any tool can be used as a hammer"

I agree about the picture quality of the shadow mask, I use a Mitsubishi with shadowmask tube, but still find it a chore after prolonged periods.
    Lebo