Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breaking the 10 GHz Barrier?

Breaking the 10 GHz Barrier?

i think AMD needs to focus on breaking the 2 gig barrier first before talking like intel is about 10gig processors and beyond.

Well ufrich, I think so to. However what if AMD kicked out a fully working new chip that was 10 GigHertz for same price as the P IV 2gig. What would that do to intel? I would surely think that Intel would have problems and AMD may gain some distance on Intel!

CoNeSsIuS

Ultimate Member
    One thing is that it would be at least a few years before 10GHz CPUs come out, so it definitely won't be competing with a 2GHz P4!

AMD's cpus mop a intel up thats why they havn't hit 2ghz they have the speed factor won and they are trying to stay on top with prices.
    Chris Stafford

hey i just joined this thing and i think amd will kick intel a** cuz of the high performance and the PRICE. oh ya i hear amd has a 20ghz cpu they just cant seem to keep it cool for over 7 seconds and its the size of a whole computer. also about this stuff the cpu isnt the thing here, wut kind of motherboard can handle it and with 10+ghz think of the ram-speed needed
    (my bro has a p4 1.333ghz and once the cache is full u need to restart i use a k7 athlon tbird 1.333ghz and mine can run for days at the same high speed just he has the fancy 800mhz ram and im stuck with the pc133, but his ram coth about 5x as much)

also amd broke the 2ghz barrior but so did intel so y make something someone else has or knows how to make amd wont make a 2ghz if anything it will be 3-4ghz one step above intel but then where will intel be.

Hey Hey guys. I have been a amd fan ever since the first x86 chip of theirs hit the market. I was a fan when people were like amd what's that?

Why all that Intel hate from you AMD fans?
    So What if Intel is more expensive - It wont burn!!
    So What if Intel has Rambus - You want it, then buy it
    And i don´t care if AMD:s are quicker in games...

So let them compete with eachother and give us faster
    computers...AND STOP COMPLAINING !!

noones complaining just i want the best i can get for my money is that so bad.

"So What if Intel is more expensive - It wont burn!! "

It wont burn??? What about that P3 1133 MHz?

AMD fo life fool!!!
    *K6-3+ 450@550, AOpen AX59Pro w/1MB, 256MB Mushkin Rev3, V3 2000 PCI, WD 20.5GB-7200, LG 32X, HP CDRW, ZIP 250, Muse XL

*K6-3 400@412.5, AOpen AX5T-2, 128MB Micron PC133, Creative Banshee, WD 17GB-5400, Hitachi DVD, DXR2, Zip100, Yamaha DS-XG

hey amd is all i will ever use cuz iv seen how much intel cost and how much it sucks i dont care who has the faster cpu anymore its not like anything right now needs that much speed im just stickin with amd, its fast at everything i will be damned if i have to pay for something that will lagg later on. the p4 has nonrefresh cache that means ones its full it wont clear itself. amd has full clear cache so it wont lagg

The advances in processing power are a great achievement. However, at this point of time it is useless in most business applications. I am running a 900 slot A, 1.2g 200 FSB, and a 1.4G at 266 FSB. There is no noticeable difference in performance on Office XP, windows Xp or AutoCAD 2000. Actually, the only performance gains I see are in constant running apps such as the distributed net client and some real time reporting software I’m running with PLC’s. The only way we are going to appreciate these technology advances is to improve the software we run.

Competition Important

No matter who you love or hate the survival of AMD is paramount for computer users everywhere. They are the only company putting the heat on INTEL's monopoly. The death of AMD would slow development in the sector immeasurably. Support for both companies is an example of our economy at work. Remember Microsoft had no graphic browser until Netscape put the screws to them we ultimately benefit from the struggle between the processor giants.

i think that the vast majority of wrong thinking people are right and my sinclair spectrum will do anything that the likes of intel and amd can do daaaaaaa oh it's bedtime

How far can the current chips go?I'm thinking fiber optics is the way to get to 10 Gig,maybe even 5;so let's bring it on now.Meantime let's get the chipsets,ram,busses,ports,etc.up to snuff for the current crop of processors and put the pressure on to keep these "weakest links"on the cutting edge as well.2 Gig would be plenty for me if the rest of the system could keep up.And let's not forget the OS.I want a 128 bit processor and the software to float it!