Thread: Alienware

Alienware

I am thinking of getting an Alienware computer, but I was wondering how much approximately I would save if I built the following myself:

Full tower case(340-Watt PS)
    AMD Atlhon XP 1700
    512MB 2100 DDR Ram
    60GB HDD
    NVIDIA Geforce 3 Ti 500
    16x/40 DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Pro

For the system above aleinware would charge me near $1600, is that wayyy overpriced or a decent deal?

Of course you will be able to build a system for much cheaper, but as is always the deal, it's a trade-off. You can save a few hundred dollars if you build the system yourself, but if you aren't entirely knowledgeable about ALL of the componenets, and especially compatability, then your system will not run as smoothly as it will if you buy one from a manufacturer. And, of course, Alien, makes some seriously badassed systems that seem to outperform the sum of their parts. However, to answer your question, depending on the other parts you are getting in addition to those you already listed, you should be able to save in the hundreds from a list price of 1700$. But it's not like that's free money...you give up the advantage of a machine specifically built for speed, not to mention customer support. It all comes down to the balance you hold as far as money/quality, teamed with how much knowledge you have of computers and computer parts.
    I would rather suffer the incovenciences of too much liberty than those of not enough.

I have an Aurora DDR from Alienware and I am completely satisfied with the rig and their customer support. If you have the know how, and time to fix any problems that arise with your system - build your own. But by the time you pay for shippping on the parts and/or taxes you'll pay close to the same price they charge for a system.
    I'm just a gal who likes my computers plug and play with a warranty to fall back on - 24 / 7 tech support, too I also have no clue how they optimize the sytems the way they do , but I can tell you this is the fastest most stable system I have ever owned ! I also got free shipping on the whole system. They will wheel and deal if you just ask for it . I've been gaming for about 9 yrs now on PC and consoles.
    Athlon T-Bird 1.4
    Asus Mobo 761 chipset
    384 DDR sdram
    Heatsink & 3 more fans
    Nvidia Geforce 3 64 mg w/tv out
    SB live 5.1 x-gamer
    Pioneer 16x DVD with decoder
    Plexwriter 16/10/40
    US Robotics 56 k fax/data
    Ethernet 10/100
    Klipsh Pro Media 2.1 speakers ( amazing for the compact size)
    NEC 19" FE 950 Multi sync monitor
    XP home edition

Good luck in you decision ! regards, Rommie
    P.s The Alienware case is SO cool looking with lots of room for upgrades, too
    <a href="http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thefemalefigure">The Female Figure - Comics, Sci-fi, Fantasy & More</a>

Alienware?! They rip people off so bad. Some of my friends have bought computers from these people for $2200+ that contain parts with a total value of around 1300. It's very sad, really. I say stay away from pre-assembled computers, especially alienware, unless you have lots of money to burn.

A few hundred dollars maybe but I fail to see how the system I am thinking about would cost $1000 more from alienware, the graphics card alone is near $400.

Originally posted by Seggybop
    Alienware?! They rip people off so bad. Some of my friends have bought computers from these people for $2200+ that contain parts with a total value of around 1300. It's very sad, really. I say stay away from pre-assembled computers, especially alienware, unless you have lots of money to burn.
    Goodness, you can say that about any and every computer company out there. Dell , Gateway, Falcon Northwest, Xi, Sys ,, all of them --
    I got more quality components from Alienware than any other store could offer and it wasn't pre-assembled.. I've seen friends CPU's look like a bomb went off inside with all the wires thrown in there.. The Aurora is so neatly handwrapped and tied , i never saw anything so perfect . The local computer shops were the *real* rip off to build a system with similiar specs.

The other thing is I have known some people that believed themselves to be real experts, and end up pissing away the $1200 or 1500 on parts that were not as compatible as they thought they were when they bought them.
    To each his own, okay

-- and please dont make rash statements about what people do with their money. It's completely inappropriate and crass.
    <a href="http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thefemalefigure">The Female Figure - Comics, Sci-fi, Fantasy & More</a>

You are right, all pre-assembled computer companies are like that.
    It's only that with Alienware, they give you things that look all nice for hundreds of dollars more. Alienware is the far from the worst which is what I may have made it seem like, but I am somewhat distraught at how many people around me are buying things from them for so much more money. I have used all of their computers. They look neat, but seriously paying $1000 having a cool looking box is... not good.

Your point about buying incompatible parts is valid though. Although in all the things I have assembled it has never happened to me, it has to some of my friends. Still, in the end, they spent around 500 less than assembled ones even after paying shipping on returns.

Ultimate Member
    The nice thing about owning a system from Alienware is the warranty. They really do offer top-notch service.