Thread: unhappy people at sharkys

unhappy people at sharkys

http://www.sharkyforums.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001517.html

quote by motherhydra:
    The problem with housen is his almighty manor that he carries himself with. He uses scare tactics instead of rational/fair rules, and that really annoys me. Also, he occasionaly employs arbitrary guidelines, such as when he closed OT. The reason that there isn't an OT anymore lies directly in the fact that isn't willing to deal with it. If he was truly in support of OT, he would've banned people who broke rules if it became such a big issue, instead of just killing the whole thing off. Personally, I feel as if Housen thinks of himself as a parent and we are his children. He treats us like kids, patronizes us. Not to mention that he goes absolutly neurotic about something as tenuous as an OT topic. It's worthless.

Hmmm unhappy campers over there too

Yes, and exactly the same thing happened at Hardware Central before that, which was also Housen. I'm pretty certain that this "community" forum at SysOpt will cease to exist before long as well.

Guy, Housen has already addressed these issues here.

VirtualDr never had an Off Topic Forum. Hardware Central and Sharky's did, but lost them because of constant problems with people posting personal attacks, racial attacks, religious attacks, sexist attacks, political attacks (you name it, they attacked it), flooding, profanity, threats, warez, sexually oriented materials (that one moreso on HWC), etc.

At HardwareCentral, its closure came after a solid year of my trying to get them to follow the rules they agree to when they register... to no avail. But a core group of members decided to respond to any attempt by my moderators to enforce the rules by acting out even more, telling them/us "you have no right to tell us what to do..." "this is freedom of speech..." "we're in charge, not you..." etc. So while I had tried to make a go of it, creating the moderators team where there was none and building it into a team of 45 volunteer moderators and 6 paid freelancers, its then-new Managing Editor, Eric, decided it was hopeless and closed it this past May. Shortly after HWC's OT closure, I decided that the same pattern had been followed at the Sharky's OT and rants forums 8 or so months of its existence. So in July, I followed Eric's lead and closed them too.

So to your question of will I close this forum? Not at this point, and not unless I am forced to... and it wouldn't be over one or two people breaking rules. It would be after a long drawn-out pattern of violations by a core group of members who have demonstrated a determined unwillingness to treat other members like human beings. So just keep acting like a community and this forum and those like it at other forums (LinuxNewbie, for example, still has an OT forum, as does Flashkit) will remain.

Housen

Yeah, that's a bunch of **** though. Like I posted earlier, you CAN'T trust Housen.

Internet.com has already set a bad precedent here.

Ultimate Member
    I don't know.

We'll see what happens here, but I'll say this: Most of the forums I've seen most anywhere else are terrible. Tons of trolling, trash-talking, and its almost impossible to have a conversation.

Sysopt has always been different and its one of the reasons I consistently post here. Now, here's the acid test. If the forum stays clean and it ends up closed, we'll know the truth. If it doesn't, we'll see that too.

Since it's 99.9% dead now, that seems like a moot point.

Housen don't need to kick a dead horse.