Thread: I am looking at a case with a 300w p/s but....

I am looking at a case with a 300w p/s but....

I saw a case on ubid.com for like $35 but the only thing is it said p4 ready it didn't say anything about AMD processors. I am getting a 1.4 GHz, 266FSB.

So does it matter? If it doesn't say AMD approved will it not work? or does it matter?

Intimate Member
    I am not positive, but I believe I read recently where some Intel mainboards have a different socket for the psu to plug into it. If this is correct, the psu may not work due to the difference in the way it connects to the board. You may want to check further on this, and maybe someone here will come along with a correct answer for you.

Other than that, a good 300 watt psu will cost 30 to 40 bucks at least...so this one you are looking at must be a cheapie...or the case is one. Just because a psu is rated at 300 watts, dosn't mean it will work great...the components that go to build it may be inferior..that is one reason we try to get an AMD approved psu...these have been tested and known to be well constructed.

There is a difference in being Intel or AMD ready, and being approved.

It is not a different connector, it just has ANOTHER connector similar to the old AT connectors. You can use it anyway and forget about connecting this "new" connector.
    I have one of these "P4 ready" psuĀ“s and it works just fine.

Hope I helped.

I'd go with a higher power supply. I have a 340 watt on my AMD Athlon 1.4 Thunderbird. I got four fans running . The more power the better performance, so don't scrimp ! Just my thoughts It's small change compared to the alternative. Make sure its AMD approved otherwise your waranties are worthless.

Rom
    <a href="http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thefemalefigure">The Female Figure - Comics, Sci-fi, Fantasy & More</a>

Well how does this case look. I am trying not to spend over 50 including s/h....

that is my goal

http://www.webuildpcs.com/wbpc/CAS012.html

Intimate Member
    Okedoke, now that I have seen it, it will work ok with AMD stuff, and is a pretty nice case. I bought one of these from a vendor at eBay and installed a Tyan ATX S1598 mobo and K6-2 450 in it for my daughter. It works very good, no problems so far.

The case is a little flimsy built, but...hey, it don't cost an arm and a leg either. It only has one fan intake up front, and no rear fan holes for exaust...so, for an Athlon instalation, where heat is a big problem, you will have to add fans in the sides and/or top.

I am still a little concerned with that 300 watt psu, whether it will handle an Athlon system or not. I am assuming the psu in the case you want is the same as the one that came in the one I bought...hopefully it is, and will fit the VIA mobo's.

I would get a power supply that is atleast 350w. I was running a 300w however when I went a an amd 1.4 I couldn't even get a display, however I know of many ppl with quality 300w p-supplies that are able to run 1.4, go 350 to be sure, oh and the intel p-supplies just have an extra connector... don't worry they work fine!

good luck... and go for a case with side panel fans (or do it yourself... much cheaper)

-mh