Thread: XP on two computers...is it legal???

XP on two computers...is it legal???

I want to put XP on two computers...home and office. Can I do this or will I get hassled by the copy protection scheme?

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Afraid you'll have to buy 2 copies of it which turns me off, although MS is offering a discount for the home versionS which is only a small percentage still not worth it, if you try it the wpa will expire it in 30 days I believe, if you try to register it with the same id you'll run into more problems with MS. The work version you could write off at the end of the tax year if thats an option.

I think the Corporate Edition of WinXP will allow you to install on multiple computers since there is no activation. I don't know about Office XP. I think you'll need to buy multiple copies for that.

I'm sorry I should have been more specific. I want to install Windows XP Pro edition on two computers.

It's actually never been legal to install one license/CD on two computers, it's just that now it's much harder to install the same license on two computers with XP.

Read the EULA.

So even if I had two computers in my house I'd have to buy TWO copies of XP????If XP were a music cd...I guess I'd have to buy seperate copies for my car, home and mobile cd player????Are they nuts????!?!?!?!?!

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Nighthawk is rite, only diff now is your being watched more closely, its like billy is rite behind your back peering closely.

So XP stands for "Xtra Problems"

what if you have two identical computers?

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/h...e_2nd_copy.asp
    Can I make a second copy of my Windows operating system software for my portable computer?

The End-User License Agreement (EULA) for many Microsoft application software products contains the following sentence: "The primary user of the computer on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable computer." If your EULA contains this sentence, then, subject to the conditions mentioned, you may make a second copy of the software. Note that you must be the primary user of the computer on which the software is installed. The primary user is the individual who uses the computer most of the time it is in use. Only that individual is entitled to use the second copy. Furthermore, the software must be installed on the local hard disk of your computer; you are not entitled to make and use a second copy on your portable computer if you run the primary copy of the software from a network server. Finally, only one secondary copy may be made; you may install this copy on more than one portable computer.

Please note that many Microsoft products are copy protected and it will not be technically possible to make a second copy of the disk. If you are a Licensee of software that includes copy protection technology, please call the Product Support Services number provided for that specific product to learn whether or not unencrypted disks can be obtained.
    More:
    Questions and answers about the End User License Agreement
    Licensing overview