Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: setting up a lan in win2k

setting up a lan in win2k

this was much easier in win98 but i switched to win2k pro a month ago and i havent been able to get my home lan working with the internet together.

not interested in internet sharing but i was able to access my other computer based on a static ip setup and be able to use the internet separately under a different nic.

[the setup]
    system1
    win2k
    cable modem
    usb network card (from the ISP)
    nic (for the home lan)

system 2
    win98
    nic (for home lan)

both nics are installed correctly and are working but i do not see each other. i need a guide of some sort because im not familar with win2k.

thx in advance

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...threadid=87333

If that's no help there are others

From my experience it is hell trying to get a 98 machine and a 2k machine to play nice over the network...that is as far as seeing shared folders and such. I really haven't found an "easy" way to get around this. Using different transfer methods works somewhat. Try IPX rather than TCP/IP (which you'll probably have to do since you're using TCP/IP for the cable modem) and go from there.

Good Luck! (you'll probably need it )
    Jared

Had some problems with computers not seeing one another and ended up installing NetBUEI. Seemed to work after that.

so yea, i cant seem to get win2k to see win98, or vice versa.

i use @home as my internet connection
    and when i check the properties in my network places, there are 2 lans.
    1 lan is bind with the usb network card for my isp
    and the 2nd lan with the nic for my home lan

i know im suppose to set the workgroup the same on the client and host and the computer name is suppose to be different.
    i tried using tcpip (both static and dynamic), tried ipx, tried netBEUI. but nothing works

ive used user management and also turned that off. i checked and both systems are FAT32 and firewalls turned off.

i dont understand why it's so difficult to figure this out. im such an idiot. i just need to grab some stuff from the other computer.

im going to stick the hdd into this computer or something. i give up.

Did the network ever work alone? Without internet?

What is your lan configuration? Cross-over or Cat5 with hub?

the lan worked when both systems were under win98 with the internet but it doesnt now when its win2k to win98, internet is fine, obvisoiuly, but i cant see the 2nd computer.

wat precautions do i need to take when plugging in another hdd?
    ****, i forgot how to set the LED of the HDD...

using a cross over cable.

btw, if u check one of the boxes in one of the lan properties, and the box is greyed, wat does that mean?

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of Win2K. There used to be several people here with experience.

I'll just bump this up for now.

btw, have you got a spare cable to try? Can't imagine it being bad but you never know.

And you should be able to set the drive as a slave to get data off it.

this might be of some help...follow the link towards the bottom of the page.

http://64.4.14.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_l...goto%3dnewpost

eh, o.k., that didn't work look in the networking area, there is a thread called 100basetx. that should have what you're looking for.

Did you go through this step already?

http://www.helmig.com/j_helmig/w2kshare.htm

98 is royal PITA to get to play with win2k as far as seeing shares is concerned. If you can, try to make your network homogeneous ( have the same OS on every computer). But if you cant for whatever reason, then you cant. However since you do have cable modem service, I would suggest getting a cab/dsl router. I do recognize that you dont necessarily want to share out the inet connection. However, having a router has fixed so many freaking networking problems it was well worth the 100 bux to get the router. Using a crossover between 98 and win2k was a nightmare that did not end until i got a switch. Things got a lot better but were still troublesome for some reason. The router cleared up the last vestiges of networking woes. The 98 machine is **** slow to browse, but at least it can see and be seen on the network all the time. The win2k boxes do just fine...
    IWILL KK266-R :: 1.2 Ghz T-bird(266fsb):: globalwin wbk38 HSF
    256 MB Infineon pc133 cas2 RAM :: Asus GeForce2 MX V7100 32MB SDR
    1 13 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM ata/66 :: 1 30gb Maxtor 5400 rpm ata100
    10x DVD-ROM :: SB PCI 512
    Intel10/100 NIC :: USR Courier V.Everything ISA 56k Modem
    Windows2000 :: modded Antec KS280 case :: 300W Antec PSU
    deep_sky@humboldt1.com

well still no success, im going to keep trying and when i get fed up im gonna attempt to upgrade the os to win2k, even tho the system isnt in the greatest shape.

thx for the help

Well I will disagree with the common sentiment. I set LAN's and WAN's up for a living and I find no distinguished problem with Win2k and 98 as far as LAN connectivity is concerned. One thing I will say. DO NOT USE NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD/PLACES as your connectivity tool. PING. Thats your only real connectivity tool if you are using IP. If you establish that, then you can begin to worrying about name resolution. If the rigs will ping each other, Disable Browse Master on the 98 machine. That can help. Do a find for the NetBIOS name from both machines. If that doesnt work, do another find except use the IP instead of the computer name. If you do have network connectivity between the two machines, but still wont resolve names, a hosts file will almost certainly clear up name resolution issues. And with a small LAN, a hosts file is easy to keep up with.