Thread: Win98 Personal Web Server

Hybrid View

Win98 Personal Web Server

I run a small server on my network, and have now setup Personal Web Server so my webpages can be accessed from the internet. Problem is that the server is on dialup for the time being. Every time I connect, I get a different IP address. The pages can be accessed as long as I know the IP. My ISP, for whom I also work for, does not sell Static IPs for dialup. Im still teaching myself these things, so Im holding on Broadband access for now. What I need to know is that is there a way to access the server without knowing the IP, or is there a way to find out the IP of the server from a remote location. Only a few people use it, so its nothing fancy, I just want a setup that will allow them to access the server without having to get me to run winipcfg and tell the IP before they can get in. Is this possible without a static IP? Thanks.

-Chris

Probably your best bet (short of telling your visitors your new ip address each time) is to use a dynamic ip service. Just do a search on Google for dynamic ip and it will come back with a handful of them. There are some free ones, I just can't remember which ones. And a good service will have a tool that will update the service with your new ip address every time you make a new connection.

Or, maybe you could sweet talk your employer into hosting it at your work site??

Doing a search on dynamic IP isnt gonna do you alot of good. That will get you plenty of information on DHCP servers and such, but not much on DNS hosting. Do a search on "Dynamic DNS hosting" That should get you alot more topic specific hits.

kwebb, I got a dynamig DNS service and it works beautifully. Thanks for the info, It really helped alot.

-Chris

glad to hear it. i have been thinking about bringin my page back up but since i changed service providers and now have a dynamic IP i just havent f'd with it. Maybe now i will.