Thread: Volatage on SIMMs and DIMMs?

Volatage on SIMMs and DIMMs?

Hi everyone, I never thought that I needed to know the voltage of SIMMs and DIMMs before I install them in my PC. can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Should I check the vgoltage of my SIMMs and DIMMs if I plan to put booth of them on my AT or ATX motherboard?

Can I have a 3.3V DIMM and 5V SIMM on the same motherboard?

Thanks,

Alex

there are a few motherboards that allow such memory chips to run simotaneously together...
    there also is older 5v edo dimm models ; sdram is when manufacturers went to 3.3v for DIMM.check what type of memory you have first, then check with your mainboard manufacture. for dimm and simms compatability together.
    you dont want to fry and sdram DIMM chips just because of overvolting by 2+volts

besides... simms arent worth it if you wnat to run an sdram dimm, they will slow the sdram down to its speed meaning the slowest memory running on the motherboard is what the fastest runs at as well.

best regards,
    jokostel

5v DIMMs are keyed differently, and physically will not fit in a 3.3v DIMM slot. The only boards I've ever seen that were keyed for 5v DIMMs were 440FX boards (Ppro / early P2).

Thanks for the help everyone.

Alex