Thread: New hard drive, old motherboard

New hard drive, old motherboard

A friend of mine just got an old P-II board (gateway) with 266. He is having trouble with the bios recognizing the disk as only 8gb when it is a 40gb. He told me the previous owner flashed the board with latest bios revision. I couldn't really find a part # or an fcc id and have no clue what comp the board originally came out of.

I was wondering if getting an ATA100 card would remedy this. I told him he should just look into a newer board but he is pretty adamant aabout keeping this for the time being.

Thanks in advance

I like your idea of buying a ata100 controller. Not only do you solve the problem of the 40g drive, but you also gain two addition eide ports. You can still use the boards original ports for your optical drives and allow you to keep four devices on seperate channels.

BTW, the Promise Ultra100 TX is sell for around $25-$30 US.
    Last edited by CocoMan; 10-14-2001 at 04:17 PM.

I am pretty shure if you know the computer model you can get the mobo information from the gateway site and a newer BIOS flash.

Well thats the problem I don't know what the board came out of but if the IDE card will solve the problem I think we'll go that route cause it'll be much faster than ata33

You may also use the software that came (or should have come) with the drive. It installs a small program in the boot record which allows the entire drive to be used even if the BIOS doesn't recognize it.