Thread: Lockups + Sound ?

Lockups + Sound ?

I recently put a new system together + have had tons of probs with lockups. The M.B. has an onboard Lan and onboard 6 ch. sound. I haven't been able to get the Lan to work, so I installed an other ethernet card + contacted Via about the probs. A Via tech replied that the sound was a CRN driven device i.e. software controlled and I may not be able to use the Lan + sound at the same time. Does this mean that the onboard devices are along the lines of useing a winmodem or a modem with a hardware controller? Since Via told me this I've tried dissableing the sound and the system becomes rock solid. I'm thinking the fix is to add a sound card (Turtle Beach SantaCruz). Does anyone have any info or thoughts on this?

Soyo sy-k7 Dagon M.B., Via KT266

1.4 T-bird 266

256megs pc2400 ram

Thanks in advance Wayne B.

The K7 Dragon has hardware based sound via the onboard CMedia chip, not sure about the nic. I think it may be a feature of the southbridge.

It's a Soyo board so why not call up Soyo support for answers?

If it's locking up, that sounds like a irq conflict. Check in device manager to make sure all your drivers are ok.

Or perhaps it's your memory? Sounds wierd but I had this problem too where my games would lock if I had sound. If I took out the soundcard it would work fine.

Ended up being bad memory as when you enable sound you use up much more memory bandwith.

Ruahrc

I've checked for conflicts + the only thing that may be a problem is that the NIC + sound + video all share the same irq. As for the memory I've run Doc Memory and it's burn in test with no probs showing. I'm going to call Soyo and see what they say. Thanks for the replies.
    Wayne B.

My lockup probs are fixed. The NIC I installed out to be the problem, it was 2-3 years old + not up to the latest specs.(also was not shareing the IRQ). I took the card out and added a hub with an uplink port for connecting to the DSL. After enableing the onboard Lan all the lockup's stopped. Thanks to Soyotec for info on this.
    Wayne B.
    P.S. This is a great board :-)