Thread: "clean system diskette"

"clean system diskette"

This post is in direct connection with another I posted yestarday. Upon taking the advice of another member and downloading some virus stuff for DOS, I have received the message:
    Stealth_Boot.C has been found in memory
    After that, the program says reboot system with a Clean System Diskette. What?
    I am afraid I do not know what they are speaking of...exactly.
    I never received any supporting disks with my computer. Please help me get rid of this virus.
    By the way, formatting alone doesn't do it!

Clean System Diskette is a diskett that has not been corrupted go to www.bootdisk.com and get a boot disk.

I assume they are referring to a floppy disk that is uninfected by the virus. It's almost certain that any floppies you have used in or created with your system are now infected with the virus.

The only way to ensure you have an uninfected floppy boot disk is to create a Windows Start Up disk on another, uninfected, computer running the same operating system as yours.

On the other computer, assuming Win95 or Win98, go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Select the tab "Startup Disk" and follow the instructions. Make sure you are using a new, uninfected floppy. One that's been in your computer will probably infect the one you are using to create a Startup Disk. When it's finished creating the disk, leave the disk in the drive, open Windows Explorer, and check the floppy to see if it has fdisk.exe on it. If not, copy fdisk from C:\Windows\Command to the floppy.

You are going to use fdisk /mbr to re-write the master boot record of your hard drive to remove the virus.

It's important that you move the little tab on the new floppy disk to the "write-protected" position to prevent your computer infecting your new Startup Disk.

Turn off your computer, put the Startup Disk in the drive, and reboot. Your computer will now boot from the "clean" boot disk you've created. It will give you the option to start with or without CD-ROM support (Win98 disk). CD-ROM support isn't necessary so select without support (boots faster).

When you get to an A:> prompt type the following fdisk /mbr (note the space between fdisk and /mbr) then press Enter. You won't actually see anything happen but the hard drive Master Boot Record, where the virus resides, will be re-written.

Turn off the computer, do not reset, remove the boot floppy, and re-boot from the hard drive. The virus should now be gone.

There are a few things to be wary of.

1. ANY floppy disk you've used in the computer is almost certainly infected with the virus and will re-infect the hard drive if used.

2. You probably got the virus from using a floppy somebody else gave you, from an infected computer. Be careful about using floppies from other machines without virus scanning them first.

3. If you have a master boot record virus on CD, and you have a bootable CD-ROM drive, it could spread to your hard drive so be equally careful about using burned CDs from other people. I understand, however, this would only be a problem if you actually booted your computer from the bootable CD.

Hope this helps.

I LOVE EXPLORER

EXPLORER -
    You do not know how many nights I have seriously lost sleep over this **** thing...really, I couldn't get Windows to use my CD-Burner or anything. I am just writing to say
    THANK YOU
    If you ever want someone taken out...I am Italian...connections...

Thanks to all!

Did you get your clean boot disk? If downloading is a problem try a local computer vendor and ask them for a system boot disk after you explain your situation to them do not bring your own floppy and when you get one from them pull out the write protect tab. The disk should have fdisk on it and from there, at a C:\> prompt type fdisk /mbr. do it several times. That should clear up your problem.

AL

Hey joeyroland, glad to hear your problem is solved.

About your being Italian....and having connections....I've got this ex-wife......