Thread: ASUS A7A266 w/AMD 1.4

LanceJ

ASUS A7A266 w/AMD 1.4

What settings do I need to use for this combination? Do most motherboards detect and set itself for the "recommended" setting? I am mildly interested in overclocking but am more interested in stability. It seems that there is not much to squeeze out of the 1.4 anyway.

I guess that the question I have is what is the "CPU Frequency Multiple" and the "System/SDRAM/PCI Freq (MHz)"? And those being selected what about the "CPU VCORE"?

Thanks in advance!

Lance

The ASUS A7A266 is actually not a very overclocker friendly motherboard. Many of its users complained about this, leading Asus to release the new A7V266 mobo.

If you're interested in overclocking, there's a great article at the bottom of the main page of sysopt.com. It will explain what CPU multiplier is and what FSB is. 1.4's can be overclocked to 1.65. You will find a database of overclocking statistics at sysopt.com too. You sure as heck came to the right place.

Those 1.4Ghz 266 Athlons are locked, aren't they?
    You can't overclock those locked ones. They run on 133MHz x 10.5
    And why overclock 1.4GHz anyway?

If I overclock 200MHz on 1.4 Ghz I only get a speedincrease of 14%. When I overclock a 1Ghz system with 200 I get an increase of 20%. A 700 MHz would give almost 29% increase.
    Why bother to overclock those speedsters.

The 1.4G is unlocked. And people OC for fun, and to get more speed out of their CPU to see what it'll do.

The A7V266 will be a better board for overclocking. If I remember right the A7A266 didn't have dipswitches for setting the clock speed, which the A7V266 does.

These would be your more stable settings since you will only be changing the multiplier.
    10.5 x 133 = 1396.5 or 1.4G
    11 x 133 = 1463
    11.5 x 133 = 1529.5
    12 x 133 = 1596 or 1.6G

Yeah I agree overclocking is more a sport than really needed.

My A7M266 doesn't support OC on the AMD 1.4GHz. It has to run on jumpers, not via BIOS (Locked mode as ASUS says on their site). This only gives me the choice between running 100MHz or 133MHz. Could be wrong but heard people saying the AMD 1.4GHz 266MHz type is locked, but it well be they were confused about like ASUS talking about locked mode. Maybe an updated BIOS gives me the chance to change the settings jumperfree.

Hi,

Well, I got the same combination. An Asus A7A266 motherboard with a AMD T-Bird 1.4 ghz processor.

When I first got my parts, it didn't work... but after setting the jumpers manually, it worked. Right now, my processor is running at 1.3ghz. If I set the processor speed to 1.4 from the bios (jumper-free mode) then the system will hang (will emit long beeps and not boot up) and force a shutdown, and when I turn the computer back on, the bios will automatically set the processor speed to 1100ghz (safe mode).

I've tried clocking the processor speed to 1.4ghz from setting the jumpers manually. This worked fine, however, it the system doesn't run stable at all. The computer will freeze, some programs will not work, etc... and when I change it back, everything works fine again.

Now I'm pretty sure there nothing physically wrong with my cpu/motherboard, because I've been using the system this way for the past few months without any problems.

I would just like to know if anyone else got this problem and if there is a way to solve it... I just wanna be able to have my 1.4ghz of power that I purchased.

Also, I have flashed my bios with the latest version from Asus.

Thanks