Thread: What's the best CPU for video editing

What's the best CPU for video editing

Ok so I'm want to set up a system to edit video. Have been going thourhg long discussions about the pro's an con's of curon, athalon and p4's.
    I would like to spend as little as possible but also not have ot upgrade almost immediatly.
    Also please be aware that I have been swotting like mad on this subject but still knwo very little so please feel free to use small easlily recognised words and talk to me like a 4 year old.
    honestly I am desparate to make a choice and get on with editing.

Curretnly I inted ot use premiere 5 or 6
    thanks

The problem with Athlon is that it burns extremely hot - making it more suceptable to freezes, system locks, etc....

GO PENTIUM 4 MAN!

Best for digital editing.

Michael

Any particular brand preference?

How fast should i be looking at? Is there a huge difference between 1.4 and say 1.5?

ECS P4ITA-2 RETAIL BOX 3YR Warranty w/Sound 4Rimm DMA 100 P4ITA2 5P1CNRxAgp ATX INSTOCK with cpu - PentiumĀ® 4 1.5GHz 423PIN 1500Mhz w/ Heatsink & Fan In Stock $ 236 $12-$15 10/7/2001 4:08:27 PM CT BZBOYZ.com877-429-2699562-997-0992-- P.O.'s acceptedOnline Ordering CA BZBP# P4ITA1500

This is the one I like but when i checked for the RAM at crucial.com they didn't stock it and thought it may be proprietry, would this be an issue?

Intel, for stability reasons. Most software is written for & on Intel processors, including Windows in its many forms.

1.4, 1.5 - no major difference. Processors that run this fast spend most of their time idling, waiting for the memory and system bus to catch up. A 1.5 will just idle faster for slightly longer periods of time.

Don't believe the motherboard manufacturers when they say you can run 4 - 256 Meg RAM sticks in their MB. Yes, you can run 4 sticks of RAM. Yes, you can run 256 Meg RAM sticks. But if you put 256 Meg RAM sticks in all four slots, the RAM will load down the circuits on the motherboard, and the RAM won't work reliably, and the system will crash.

If you need 512 megs, get a motherboard that says it can handle 1024. Or use "Registered" RAM, which has circuits that get around this problem. The motherboard must be designed and built to handle it.

Proprietary RAM - trouble. You WILL get it from 1 source, and you WILL pay their price - if they have it, they may stop selling it. Get common, mainstream stuff.

I bought an Abit BP6 dual processor motherboard two years ago. Other stuff came up, this project went on the shelf. When I started buying parts to finish it 6 months ago - no ATA 33 drives anywhere, got the last matched pair of 533 Celerons out there. Computer stuff is outdated within a year. Don't make it worse by buying off-brand proprietary stuff.

Get a PowerMac, they are the professionals choice for video editing. They cost more but are bullet proof and always 100% compatible as Apple makes both the system and the software. They are RISC processors and run very cool. Look downtown at the graphic artists studios and ask what they use.

We have macs here but i am strictly a PC girl myself. For larger projects we edit on Avids (beta testing decks actually) they are all PC

upz

Pure looking at CPU: Pentium 4
    But you know the problem with the board. Those RIMM are losing. Look for boards with P4x266 chipset. No need to explain, just look for this in the specifications. I only can think of "Shuttle AV40R" mobo at this moment (They risked a possible intel lawsuit). But it will be the (nearby) future. I think other mobo manufactures will follow soon.

the reason you didnt see any memory on crucial is because the only do SDRAM nd DDR. That means to RIMM's or RDRAM modules. One of crucials few downfalls

New chip on the block! SIS 645. You can read about it here:http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1541

Pros: Intel licensed, supports ddr333 sdram, cheap.
    Cons: No boards available yet, Intel 845-D in Q1, 2002.

Here's a observation on sis and via chips. Is it me or does ECS seem to always be the first ones with a new chip? Also, the online stores located in SO. CALIF. seem to have really good ties to the far east. They seem to stock new boards within a couple of weeks of release. It might be worth it to call up some of them and ask about availability.