Thread: motherboard doesnt like ME

motherboard doesnt like ME

ok i just got a new motherboard, and i have win ME previuosly installed on my hardrive. i hooked everythin up and i ran into a problem, but it was only a jumper problem. i fixed that, so since it was the firt boot with the new motherboard, it had to install all the device drivers for everything on the motherboard, it was doing that for like 2 minutes, then outta the blue, without any message or warning or anything, it just restarted on its own. and after it restarted, after it did the memory count it freezes, i must have tried everything, it doenst do anything after the memory count it freezes. so what did ME do? did it fry somtheing? i have tried everything its a
    Intel AN430TX Socket 7 ATX. The BIOS is pheonix Bios version 4. i was loading the operating system (win ME) off of a hardrive with everything pre-installed i took out the jumper and changed ity to clear the CMOS, and nothing happened. i dont know if it clears it, when i move the CMOS jumper to clear CMOS when i move it back to keep it goes to the usual screen.

hmmmm - sounds like an ancient 3.1 cmos error!

I would ...sheesh, its been a while - i think its a jumper problem - what proc?

michael

whast a proc??? i think i have tried all the jumpers. and to me it seems lie a jumpoer, ive figured its ben a jumper since day 1. now if it is a CMOS error how do i fix it"? i really want this thing workin.

I don't think you can just stick back your old hard drive into a new motherboard and expect it to boot up. If the new motherboard is the same make and model then it might be ok. I have done this a couple of times before with win98se, but I don't know if it will work in winME. The first time I removed all expansion cards and their drivers, then changed the video driver to standard vga. I then installed it on the new motherboard, booted up and windows load new drivers. Worked fine. The second time I tried this with another system it wouldn't boot. I just reinstalled win98 over itself, worked fine and didn't lose any data, but I did lose some links to my desktop shortcuts.

I don't like ME either :)

A fresh install is needed, it will fix the problem only if you installed it when you had a different motherboard (see CocoMan post).

Proc means prcessor or CPU b.t.w.

ok i think i forgot to make a few things clear, what exaclty happens is: it read the processor and the memory, rite after it reads the memory it just freezes, i cant enter th BIOS i can do **** except restart it over and over, it is not a hardrive problem! i dont even have the hardrives hooked up! and for that sake, i have to floppy drifves, and they both read at strtup making it so the BIOS cant read either 1 so its out of the question to install from a floppy, i cant enter BIOS i cant do anything, last time this happened it was a from a jumper, so i am led to belive that it is just a jumper, u must remember this is a new motherboard, and its all new stuff.

Try hooking the floppy and the hard drives up to see if it will get further in the post and perhaps allow you to get into the BIOS.

I'm I going to have the same problem? Have old K-6-2 machine with EDO mem. Want to change to modern Athlon type mobo with SDRAM. I have ME upgrade disc, orinal 98Fisrt Ed. disc, and Restoe CD for the old machine.

Want to pull the HDD and plunk it into newly built machine as per above. Will I have to clear CMOS? How can I recover it if system goes kafooy. From Restore disc?
    ---------------------
    Also, I have a Pentium (one) machine I want to do the same but NO OS or drivers on CD.

Sounds like I'm living dangerously.

Getting contradictory info.

pedhead04

Wow!

I have swapped out MB, Hdd's, with ME and not had a single problem(and Win 98 too).

If the PC freezes I would guess that you might have an overheating problem due to a number of causes. I would start from square 1 and recheck ALL the jumpers and connections. Also check that your HSF are seated well on the CPU.....

MegalosSkylos

Before you do the Hdd swap, go into control panel, system, devise manager and remove your Vcard, sound, game port and modem. Then shut down, put the Hdd in the new PC with just the Vcard installed and it should install everything just fine. I have done this many time in the last several months with out a problem, even using the same drive with different mobo combinations .....
    Last edited by HotRod9mm; 10-13-2001 at 12:35 PM.

i put a fan on the cpu and nada, i tihnk im just gonna chukc it. since theres no point because it dotn waork i think im just waistin my time, well thanx for the help! hey by the way i can get u a really good deal on a motherboard! (lol)

pedhead04

One last thing, check and make sure the voltage is set correct, as some CPU are VERY touchy about "v" settings...

last try.

I checked on the an430tx at the intel website. The board does not seem to support any amd cpus(K5/K6), just pentiums. Are you using a K6?
    Last edited by CocoMan; 10-13-2001 at 08:37 PM.

Dear CocoMan:

Have you ever been to this health food resturant in Cupertino? The really big one with the few seats up front? Blocking on name. Always go there when in San Jose.

Which is your favorite Fry's?

I hear there building a wider highway to Morgan Hill.

Where have all the orchids gone?

Sorry MegalosSkylos, don't know the place. Now that you mentioned it, I'll go and try to find it. I probably won't buy anything to eat though. I'm strictly a junk food junky. I need my processed sugar and hydrogenized fat. The past 3 days I've been living(if you can call it living) on coffee, 3 hotdogs and a bag of doritos. I'm a little weak and pale but still alive.

I usually go to the Fry's in Santa Clara because it's the closest one, but my favorite store is the one in Palo Alto. It's less crowded and the drive out there is nice if you take 280.

BTW, you have to do a search on Chuck. He did a ton of movies. Now I'm not saying any of them were any good, but you got to give him his props. Also, was there actually any kung fu in KUNG FU?

CocoMan out!
    Last edited by CocoMan; 10-13-2001 at 11:04 PM.

this aint a food forum!!! nah just kidding. no i am not using a pentium i put in a p1 90 mhz, and actaull dsumpin i didnt post, since the other processor i was usin was a amd k6-2 i figured id put in the other to see, now with the thoer processor (amd) it only read the processor and the ram then it froze, with this other processor (pentuim 1) it reads the serial number, and the name of the motherboard as well as the memory and processor, so it got a little fartther, but unfoutunately it still freezes after memory, i 1c again have tried everything and no luck. heyu does any 1 know a really good deal on a comuter??