View Poll Results: Would you pay for a copy of the Sysopt forum archives??

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, gladly

7 22.58%
  • Yes, if the price is right

10 32.26%
  • Maybe

4 12.90%
  • No, absolutely not.

10 32.26%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A few less heated comments, and an offer to Gus

Ultimate Member

A few less heated comments, and an offer to Gus

Originally posted by gvenditto

I don't have any problems with people saying goodbye but I do have a problem with people using this forum to launch a competitive business.
    Now, I won't attack you or come on strong at all. Merely want to point out something from the member's viewpoint.

Problem with that statement above is the fact that these sites aren't really a conventional "business". We don't buy product, or a service. We come here to get or share advise, or viewpoints. In short, to communicate.

Now, take away the people we want to communicate with.
    What's left??

Also, the core of long-term members know each other. We already have the email addresses from past correspondence. We've got street addresses if we ever traded!! Look back over the forums, you'll see messages like "Where's so-and-so??? Haven't heard from him lately"
    So, don't you think we'd start asking & mailing if Scott, Mike, Socal, etc just stopped posting?? We'd have found each other regardless. Heck, I saw one site (Nick's Place) get totally shut off w/o warning. But the MEMBERS got back together via mail & formed another site, which had problems later, so yet another site was formed. And still exists with largely the same crowd.

Would the site survive w/o just Scott?? Most likely yes (Sorry Scott...)
    BUT - w/o Scott, Socalgal, Mntsnow, Mark, Joel, RobRich, Daveleau, Fingers, NDC, Doc (Richard Cranium), Caddmannq, Outpatient, Jad1097, Warthog, BBA, pickel, WelshWizard, ... the list goes on & on.

It cannot survive.

============

Now, the offer...
    Since I feel it's only a matter of time before the site is closed for financial reasons, I'd like to offer to purchase a copy of the forum's database. Say, from Jan 1999 forward. And I bet others would want it also, if it were made available at a reasonable price.

Regarding price, remember that the info already belongs to us, WE created it in the first place!

Should be fairly easy to copy to CD's, and the pages are in html so we can all read them. Of course a searchable index would be nice...

Anyway, this is a chance for you to salvage a few bucks out of this mess. Maybe a fair amount if enough members are interested.

=========================
    All - please answer the poll but refrain from attacks on Internet.com in this topic.
    Maintain diplomacy, please.

Collectively, we've got a lot of OUR time invested in the archives. I think it's worth preserving!!

Ed
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Why pay for knowledge we already have or gave freely. The same advice can be given again elsewhere. I wonder where that could be?
    www.techimo.com
    www.techimo.com
    www.techimo.com
    www.techimo.com

While this is an odd request - i think id like it. Although - I'd like to wait for about 5 years, as I think SysOpt still has much to offer, and many more friends to make.....

Michael

Ultimate Member
    NoCtrl - I find the answers to many tech problems merely by searching the archives without ever posting a question! You can find more optional solutions than any one of us can possibly know firsthand.

TJ, even if it does last those 5 yrs, it will change. Many of those who would now be interested are unlikely to be around by then.

Besides, it could always be done again in the future.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

KMA
    Of course.

As a matter of fact I mentioned in an e-mail today that I hope they do not get deleted because I always search sysopt first.

----------------------------
    Michael

iT IS MY belief that this site will not only be around, buut will be even more popular in years to come - it is happening as we speak.

Mcihael

archives

I think that Ed_s has a good idea. I'd be willing tochip in for a copy. Alot of posts and time has been spent here and would hate ot lose out. I can't see any reason not to post here or any other forum I belong to. It's nice to have options and different opinions. It's the people that make the forum not the name

the pickel
    Believe in yourself, and stand up for what you believe!!

it is a good idea, and i support it, i just dont think sysopt is through.

Mcihae

Ultimate Member
    TJ,

You can stay here if you really want to....

No one's draggin u anywhere

~Joel
    ~Joel

Well I will say...I would like a copy as I put much of my online life into this site...I put it above my own sites...

As for you TJ...I will refrain from saying what I personally think about two faced twits
    Last edited by Mntsnow; 10-12-2001 at 12:06 AM.

About paying for a CD.!!!! I WOULD BE GLAD.!
    This site (our old home) has a load of useful (and not so useful -- hamsters threads -- hehehe) information.!
    eagle1 signing off.....

KMA
    TJ, ...

Let people air their anger the way they feel they must, it will be over soon enough.

What are you trying to do make some brownie points?
    Last edited by jad1097; 10-12-2001 at 01:10 AM.

Former volunteer
    jad,
    TJ has posted some quite different views on the new site. I think he is loyal to us, he just wants to be here and there for now.
    Dave

He's just sucking up as usual...

I'd pay for the database, if the price is right. A lot of stuff happened here I couldn't possibly remember. It would be great to have all that on a CD.

KMA
    Dave, I think his words here say it all.