Thread: PC wont Boot with ATA100 Drive

PC wont Boot with ATA100 Drive

I bought a Maxtor 40Gb ATA100 Drive for a new PC I am building. Seeing that this PC was not gonna be ready in the next week or so, I decided to test the drive in my old Compaq 5441 PC - It's a 475Mhz AMD K6-2.

Now what is strange is that when I tried to hook this drive up, it wont get past the "Compaq" Screen - it just freezes there. I checked everything, jumpers, cables etc. I tried to look at the CMOS setup but what I found strange is that there was NO drive setup!! I aint kiddin! Its like that part been removed - I think Compaq had this BIOS made especially for them.

My main dilemma is that, is my new HDD Working or is it just the PC. The HDD light comes on for about 2 seconds when I power up and then the PC Freezes at the "Compaq" Screen like I sd. Remember that the PC does not support ATA100, think that is the problem?

What yall think guys?

some mobos need BIOS upgrades to be able to recoignize >32GB HDD.

also Compaq uses software to chang the BIOS which is located on a hidden partition of your primary master.

some mobos need BIOS upgrades to be able to recoignize >32GB HDD.

also Compaq uses software to chang the BIOS which is located on a hidden partition of your primary master. you can also download the software from Compaq to run it of a FDD.