Thread: Win98SE hangs PC

Win98SE hangs PC

I have a Pentium 100 with 64MB Ram that I have used for Win95 for a few years. I am now trying to load Win98SE on it and having trbl. I reformat the HD and install Win98SE (full version) and that goes okay, but when I try to use Windows Explorer to look at HD, I can open one folder okay but when I try to open another folder - the system hangs!
    I have used different CD's with Win98SE on them and same thing happens. I reformat HD and load Win95 and 'it' works fine, reformat again and load Win98SE again and it hangs.

It has really got me stumped since Win98SE Minimum system requirements are 486DX and 16MB RAM and I am over that!

Please help!!

Thank you VERY much - Cindy

You probably need to upgrade the drivers for your video card. But lets try:

Click on Start->Settings->Control Panel->System icon->Preformance Tab->Graphics button->Turn down the Accelorator a notch and see if that helps. If not, turn it down another notch.

Any other specifics? What size HD? Homebuilt machine/custom/Dell/Gateway/etc.?

Need to get some more info plz!

There could be some obscure incompatibility with your hardware. Are there any exclamation marks in the device manager, indicating an incompatibility.

How about installing win95 again, and make sure it's working ok then without reformatting, insert the win98 cd, run setup and do a upgrade? You might get lucky and have the upgrade keep your old drivers.

oK THE fact that it still runs on a pentium 100 mhz is quite fascinating - you can spend 20 bux and upgrade to a better proc man - that w0uld solve all your problems....

Michael Moreli