Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WHAT THE H3!! IS GOING ON???

WHAT THE H3!! IS GOING ON???

Did I miss something? I mean I kinda understand that everone is leaving through some of the posts I read but WHY?? Please someone let me in on the details to what has happened and why everyone is moving... this sounds so sad..
    Ritalin Kid

Ultimate Member
    " Now the new owners of SYSOPT ,, Internet.com have deluged the site with CPU bogging ads and have dismissed our great leader,, as of Sept 2001

So,, NOW the pack is up and leaving Internet Dot Come to their own..

I'm sure a few thousand less members will not hurt them,, "

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...threadid=87033

Former volunteer
    The last straw was Scott being layed off. He started Techimo with Mark Stubblefield. First they layed off everyone but Scott, then Scott. Go to Techimo.com where the owner IS Scott and he will make sure the users are in mind.

OK then I'm out... I came here with the intent to exchange information about technology with people. It's not about post tallies or neato avatars but the ability to make friends and share knowledge so I guess I have no choice but to follow my friends to TechIMO... I'll really miss Sysopt though I remember first becoming a member and then thinking it was sooo cool that the box my KT7A came in had the Sysopt.com banner on the side cause I was a member here too..

Well everyone I guess I'll see ya at TechIMO.com... PEACE OUT
    Ritalin Kid

Aww,
    This is too bad. I guess Scott does not have the rights to tranfer the Sysopt Database of old posts over to his new site? Soo much great info will be lost! (that we all helped assemble)
    Oh Well...I guess earthweb did purchase this site (and data within?)from Scott.
    Scott did own Sysopt at one time and he decided to sell it to earthweb. So the comment "Go to Techimo.com where the owner IS Scott and he will make sure the users are in mind."[ really makes no sense.
    If the new site becomes popular... are we going to re-live this all over again? (Sell out to a large Co., Just to get pushed out the door?)

In this posting http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...5&pagenumber=1 note the date please.
    It was implied that running a banner blocker could be the death of this great site. In retrospect, It was the Selling of this site (to the banner Co., aka Earthweb- lol)That killed it. I only point all this out to try and ensure that this does not happen again at the "new" location. I hope to see yall there.
    Best Regards All!
    Nathan G.
    Last edited by Nathan G.; 10-11-2001 at 08:24 PM.

what is really going on

To answer the question of what's going on here, first let me explain that I am the editor-in-chief of internet.com and I am ultimately responsible for the content published at all of our sites.

Scott did recently leave the company but SysOpt, which Scott sold several years ago, will continue to be a great resource. We know the world is full of competitive sites -- we also publish Sharky Extreme, VirtualDR and Hardware Central -- and that is just on the hardware side. We have had a brief slowdown in the amount of news published over the last couple of weeks due to technical problems, but that is being fixed.

We know people will go to the sites where they get the best value from the time they spend there and we're confident you'll find this resource improves over time.

What you should know about the company is that it has a staff of people who have lots of experience in the field of publishing high-tech information. We don't claim to be perfect. Some times the ad server is sluggish. But when we encounter problems, we fix them.

- Gus Venditto
    editor-in-chief, internet.com, INT Media Group Inc.

tehe... you're funny
    Ritalin Kid

Former volunteer
    He forgot to mention that Scott was LET GO, he did not leave, and the rest f the staff had their accounts removed or their priveleges revoked without notice.

Unprofessional.

Scott has replied to Nathan G's post at a site that I can no longer say on this board since Gus keeps deleting it from my posts.

Dave
    Former Voluntary Sysopt Moderator

we also publish Sharky Extreme, VirtualDR and Hardware Central
    Well, I won't be patronizing THESE sites anymore, nor will I be perusing SYSOPT. I cannot, in good conscience, patronize a site which is so heavily censored and has a moron at the helm. You have insulted EVERYONE who frequents this site, Gus. Your treatment of all the main operatives of SysOpt is horrific.

Yeah, you're in charge, you're the editor. But with no one following, what do you have to be a leader of??

Whatever...
    Why did things go down like that.
    What was up with double banner ad's the other day?
    Things have gone downhill here since internet.com
    entered the picture.
    crazy ad's popping up all over the place
    hurting my eyes.
    i thought
    my computer had problems once.
    oh, it was only an ad
    cranking my processor
    out of control.
    my oh my was I excited when I found I would no longer have to deal with such things.

The grass is greener folks... a lot greener. I'd tell ya where, but someone doesn't want you to know. Maybe you can figure it out on your own.

Heck things sure happened fast. I regularly read these Forums all the folks I respect for knowledge and advice are leaving. I'm following them too!

lol gomer
    w w w . t e c h i m o . c o m

ROTFLMAO Gomer

That was good!

See ya on the other side

ME

Well it's hitting the fan now....Sheeze

Time to bring the room down a notch now. Seems good old Internet.com has done it again. You may remember they bought, then pretty much demolished Sharkyextreme and HardwareCentral. The either lost or got rid of the people that made those sites, and now they are but a shadow of what they once were.
    Posted at http://gotapex.com/index.php at the bottom of todays news

Ultimate Member

here is the article, for a few mins anyway

Time to bring the room down a notch now. Seems good old Internet.com has done it again. You may remember they bought, then pretty much demolished Sharkyextreme and HardwareCentral. The either lost or got rid of the people that made those sites, and now they are but a shadow of what they once were.

Well, they have waved their magic wand over Sysopt and Resellerratings.com. Resellerratings everyone knows, as it has helped protect the computer parts shoppper for years with it's user supplied ratings of internet stores. Sysopt is one of the oldest nerd sites around. Well the mind behind those sites, Scott Wainner, was let go from his babies. Of course, the one lesson is, when you sell, retain control! But it is sad to see to great sites go the way of Sharky.

But never fear, as Scott, and the entire staff of Sysopt have joined together to form TechIMO, a new geek site where the readers opinion means just as much as the writers. It's off to a great start, and soon a new Resellerratings-like database will be available there as well. It seems to be off to a good start, so why don't you check 'em out and send 'em some love. TECHIMO

It is my fondest wish that Internet.com buys out X-10, because if any company deserves to vanish for being the most annoying place on earth, it's the pop up happy X-10.

Go have a day.

LOL! Please take over X-10!