Thread: I got Q's on cars....

I got Q's on cars....

Well it turns out I don't know how exactly a turbo works. I always thought they connected to the carbi/fuel injection and gave additional air pressure. I also compared it to an oxy-acetyline. How if u had too much acetyline(fuel) it'd burn really dirty and wouldn't bee too hot, however u add oxygen and the flame gets clean and hot......

Well anyway, I was helping my brother out on his car, a 1999 mitsubishi mirage except it's FAR from standard but back on subject. I was doing my usual stupid walking around the car trying to identify what things are and I found out the tubo was connected to the outlet manifold....this crushed my initial theory. Know I know now it forces cold air into the manifold but how does this increase acceleration?

try This or This Maybe they'll help

Thx gibbo I think I get it know. I was partially right anyway.....So it compresses the enhaust gases so more air can be burned....I thought the manifold was only connected to the outlet valve so couldn't understand how the added pressure would compress the air in to the cyclinder as the inlet valve as I had thought was on the other side connected to the injectors. Still don't understand that but atleast I fully understand the concepts involved.

A turbo uses exhaust gases to power a fan to help force the fuel air mixtuer into the inlet manifold.
    A supercharger (blower or in Mercedes speak an (k)compressor) does much the same thing except it uses engine power to drive the fan, via a belt or drive train.

G
    Nothing moves faster than goalposts

G/Day M,

Mate, its the 3 basic tenants of combustion.
    Fuel, Air and Ignition. Its a rule of thumb worth remembering.
    If the engine won't start, what's missing? Fuel, Air ,Spark.

Fuel by itself will not burn, without Air. Fire Extinguishers use this principle.
    So, What do you need to make the fuel burn?

Air!
    Or more specifically Oxygen. Oxygen is a strange beast, it can be found in the air as O2, and also combined with other elements such as NO2, Nitrous oxide.

These are commonly used to make a fire burn, the O2 with Acetylene, the NO2 in Car and plane engines.

The Turbo principle may have been linked above, but in a nutshell it is 2 linked fans, one fan driven by the exhaust gas flow, drives the inlet fan, to blow air into the engine.

The more air you can get into an engine, the better the burn. The better the burn, the more fuel, etc..

Bigger Fire=More heat = More power.

Interesting Trivia.
    When the new engine regs were set for formula 1 in 1966. They stated 3000CC Normal Induction, And 1500CC Supercharged.

It wasn't until 1977 when Renault started running turbocharged engines, that anyone took any notice.
    The early Renaults were grenades. By the early 80's BMW had produced an engine of 1.5L capable of delivering 1200HP!

Nelson Picquet used them, on his way to the Title in '83.

ChrsR.

Plenty more of this, if your keen. Fly me a kite!

Also, since cool air is more dense than hot air, many turbochargers have an intercooler. This device cools the hot exhaust air before it enters the combustion chamber.

I have only a carburetor, but even with my own engine, I can tell the difference in power between a cool morning and a very hot afternoon.

JP

Hehe, I was downstairs in the garage helping my brother still and brought up my lil theory He corrected and pretty much explained what rusty just said. I understand know, I also looked up engines and NOS while I was at "how stuff works".....strange I didn't think to look there myself, I used it for information on CRT's a while back.