Thread: Help oc P3-450 on Abit BE6

Help oc P3-450 on Abit BE6

I've had this setup for awhile and now that I'm pretty far be the curve, I need to try to get more performance out this puppy. I changed the FSB to 124 so that gave me 540 (4.5X124). It seems to run okay. I ran 3DMark2001 demo all night and it didn't crash. The CPU temp went from 38C to 41C, that seems okay. (At what point do I need to think about more cooling?)

I then tried to use 133FSB to get 600Mhz. It booted up fine but when I started the benchmark, it exited out to the desktop. So I increased the voltage to 2.05V. When I restarted I would get to my network login, hit enter and I would see the desktop for about 5 seconds and then the screen goes black with crazy lines on it. The vid card was trying to driver my monitor at 100Mhz, which it can't handle. The computer isn't locked up, I was able to use the keyboard to shutdown and reboot. It kept doing it even when I changed the CPU settings back to normal. I had to boot into safe mode, change to VGA drivers and then reboot and reinstall the video drivers. Any thoughts on what is causing that? Am I just SOL on 600Mhz? BTW, my card is GF2 Pro. I'm using the Nvidia drivers that came with it, I think is said version 4.12.xxx?

So to recap my questions:
    1) Do I need more cooling? Doesn't seem like the temp increased very much to me.

2) Why is the refresh rate changing when I oc'ed to 600 MHz?

3) In my BIOS, the FSB values are listed like 133(1/3), 124(1/3), 133(1/4)... What does the (1/3) and the (1/4) mean?

Thanks for your help!

Anyone?

1.) I believe you have a the first P3 450 with Katmai cpu core, slot 1. The P3 450 aren't very good for overclocking too high.
    2.) ?
    3.) In BE6 bios, 133/3, 124/3, or 133/4 are clock dividers. For example: 133( is the front side bus) divided by 3, which equals 44.3 mhz that pci would run at. That means when cpu is overclocked using the fsb in bios the pci slots are overclocked too. Those clock dividers help not to overclock the pci slots to high or else risking overclocking, for example, pci sound card, pci modem, pci raid controller card, etc., that could damage those devices.

Sorry, can't answer second questions...