Thread: Cant run Athlon at 133MHz FSB???

Cant run Athlon at 133MHz FSB???

I put together a system using an Ahtlon 1.4 Gig 133 MHz FSB proc, FIC AD11 board supporting the 133 FSB and DDR ram, and 256 Megs of 2100 DDR Ram.

The system was unstable as hell when I first started with FSB at 133 Mhz. Blue screened like hell.. I tried swapping the memory, same problem. On a hunch, I made the FSB run at 100 MHz and the system is rock solid.

Now, I doublechecked that everything *is* supposed to work at the 133 MHz FSB : CPU, mobo and mem. I cannot figure out why the hell this is happening.. Does FSB speed matter to other components like video card (have an AGP Rage), HDD, etc?

This is actually a lot of progress since my last post.. thanks for the replies to that one

Yes your other cards matter. Try taking out all the other cards except for your video card. So just have the vid card, cpu and memory and test it that way. Then slowly add cards in and you can see what is holding you back. Many pci cards tend not to like high fsb speeds. Hope that helps.

Oh and yeah HD has nothing to do with this problem.

well.. I just have one card.. the AGP Rage video card. No sound, modem, etc. Do AGP cards run at 133 MHz as well, or is there a divider ratio there?

Tx.

Are you sure you have PC2100 (runs on 2x133) and not PC1600 (runs on 2x100)? For optimal use of the DDR feature your CPU should be a 266 FSB type. Don't know if this the problem is, since you have a 133 FSB CPU.

Did you installed a fresh install after new build or are you using a older HD with already an OS on it. It could be those old motherboard drivers are conflicting with your new board.
    As you mentioned blue screens, the problem well lay there.

Double post!!! http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...threadid=86568

RaHul: Well, the box says 266 MHz.. maybe AMD screwed up and shipped a 200 in a 266 box
    I have the heatsink attached using the "phase-change" compound which comes with it.. Was too lazy to scrape it off and go buy Arctic Silver.. I dont plan to overclock or anything so figured it should be okay.. I checked in the BIOS, CPU temp hovers around 45-50 deg..
    I got the SDRAM CAS timing to 2.5.. My mobo doesnt seem to support 3.. the only options I have are 2.5 and 2.
    Thanks.
    So you did a fresh install and have a 266Mc AMD.

Well lets see. Can you tell me what the BIOS speedsettings are. FSB speed, HST clock, DRAM clk, PCI clk, multiplie setting, those stuff.
    It should be:

FSB: 133Mhz
    DRAM: 133Mhz
    HST clk: 133Mhz
    PCI clk : 33Mhz
    multiplier 10.5

And again the memory is PC2100 for sure??

There doesnt seem to be a seperate setting for FSB and DRAM clocks.. so both are at 133 MHz. Someone suggested checking the PCI clock when running at 133 MHz FSB as it might be using a 1/3 divider. Funny behaviour.. when I change the CPU Host / PCI clock settign from Default to 133/33, the video goes blank. Nothing can make it work, I have to clear CMOS and start afresh. I tried 133/30 as well.. Cant figure out why anything other than default does not work. The default is supposed to autodetect.

Multiplier is at 10.5, the sticker on the RAM says it is 266 MHz.

Thanks.

i'm just taking a guess here but maybe your video card is only 2x AGP and if your bios is set for a 4X AGP card that might cause a problem. I'm not really sure what your AGP bus has to do with you FSB setting but its worth a shot.

I think the ati rage card is a 1X agp card. I have the rage pro which is 2X. Do you have another card lying around like maybe a old pci card that you could use for testing?

Sounds like your 266 mhz processor may not be 266 mhz, since at the level of oc, a 200 mhz will crash. check the last letter the first string of letters on your processor core, it should be "c" and not "b" to be 266mhz. You probably know that anyways. Are there any jumpers to be aware of when switching from 200 and 266 mhz processors?

You got me there RaHul. Have no idea what's wrong. Your settings are okay (133/33).
    I hope iosubsys, CocoMan or Jeffy's post gives the solution. I am out of ideas

hehehe, i have the same board and had the same problem.

the FSB should be at 133 Mhz, and your other components will be just fine as it used the right clock multipliers.

i found that by using the jumpers on the mother board to select clock multiplier and 133 FSB it works fine.

my processor is a 1.2 Ghz, but i set my clock multiplier to 10.5 and it runs fine at 1.4 Ghz.

initially when i put the system together, if i tried using the BIOS for the settings, it would not boot up and display the CPU speed properly, and like you, gave all kinds of errors.

hopefully manually setting the jumpers on the motherboard will work as it did for me.