Thread: DMA in Windows 98 SE

crateprice

DMA in Windows 98 SE

I am unable to get DMA working on my machine. I have a AK31 Rev2 board by shuttle and a IBM 60GXP hard drive. I have loaded the via266 4 in 1 drivers for the chip set but I am still unable to get it to work. I have my dma set to auto in my bios I have even tried turning it off but neither work. When it is loading up it tells me that is is using LBA ata 100 so I know it is recognizing that my drive is capable. I am really not concerned with the transfer rates but just the cpu load because all of the benchmarks I have done show that I am using about 90 percent of my cpu when accessing the drive and it is bottle necking my system I have a 1.4 Ghz amd and 512 ddr memory from crucial. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds as if it's working. What makes you think it's not?

Are you using a 80 wire or 40 wire cable? You need a 80 wire cable for proper ata100 performance. You didn't mention anything about enabling dma in device manager. If you have not done that already then right click my computer and select properties, device manager, disk drives and the name of your drive. Now choose settings and check the dma box and hit ok. Go back and check the dma box again and hit ok, windows will tell you that you need to reboot. After reboot you should be ok.

You need to put UltraDMA (U DMA) in Bios to disabled. Then windows should enable DMA in Device Manager