Thread: How fast is my cable?

How fast is my cable?

Hello
    Right now I'm downloading from a ftp at 2.50 k/sec and it some times drops to 0.00 k/sec. I know it some times depends on the source of the download or upload. The site moderator said there is more bandwith left so the problem is on my side. I have never got over 15.00 k/sec upload or download on any of the 15 ftp sites I use. Everyone says, "**** your slow!"

One time a @Home cable guy was here, and I asked him how fast was my cable. He logged on to yahoo and said, "looks good". I didn't know much back then.

Please tell me, step by step, how to figure out my speed. Also, what to not have running during a test. Please be specific. I'm a newbie.
    Thanks, Pack'nHeat
    Abit IC7 (1.3 BIOS) - P4 2.6C, Swiftech MCX-4000 92mm Panaflo - 2 x 512mb XMS3500c PT - Leadtek GF3 Ti500 <- - Audigy 2- WIN-TV PVR - Sony Dru500a DVD-RW - Lite-On 52X CD-RW - 250 ZIP - 5 x WD 120GB SE - Maxtor 120GB & WD 100GB via FireWire - Enermax 465 - Klipsch 5.1 Ultra - 19" Trinitron

KMA

I have @Home as well. Another thing you might wanna do to speed up your connection (assuming you haven't already) is to disable the proxy.

Go to:

Control Panel/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings and make sure nothing is selected in Automatic Configuration or Proxy Server.

@Home uses a proxy server to cache frequently visited pages (visited by everyone on the network, that is) which may or may not speed up access to microsoft.com but is notorious for messing up download speeds.
    But, it goes to 11

Also

If you go to http://dslreports.com and go to the Tweaks Forum you can tweak the most of your broadband. You will need to download DrTCP and their is a link their.

You wouldn't happen to live in an apartment complex with shared cable, would you? My bro is living in the barracks (he's in the military). He probably averages about 5kpbs on his cable connection. His problem is that there are tons and tons of splitters on the cable. Splitters weaken the signal, degrading the service.

Got a UTP network behind a server with 8 PC (3 average used). Got a download average over 200k/sec and upload 12k/sec.
    @home say it should be ver 400k/sec with 16k/sec upload. The advert says so, but ofcourse its an advert!!
    The upload is restricted, yours maybe too that's why you only squezze 15k/sec through. The download should get higher ratings. But I know some places here, where they suffer with a bad cableconnection. UPC isn't doing a good job here in Holland. @Home is doing a better job, providing me one of the best cable connection in the country.

You have to share your bandwidth with other people using cable, when the provider puts to many users on one cable you have too share your bandwidth to much, down goes your speed Same problem on networks.