Thread: Bios Award with problem !!!

Bios Award with problem !!!

Hi, I 've a motherboard DFI pb50-v3, and my bios is a award pci/pnp 686 whit a celeron 400, my problem is that te bios not start up beacause when the pc shuton the bios say on display:
    in first time:
    "BIOS ROM checksum error.
    Detecting floppy drive a media...Insert system disk and press enter."
    and them say:
    "BIOS ROM checksum error. Detecting floppy drive a media...system halted.", and no worked.
    I try whith the bios update awdflash.exe, but not recognize any floppy.

please, if anybody know the solution tell me.

thanks.

I had the same error once.
    Check the cable... sounds like it's on backwards.
    But, it goes to 11

But, what (like it's on backwards.), the bios chip in the slot.?

Sounds like you have set something in your bios wrong. Usually the CPU settings.
    Press the Insert key when you turn on your computer, then enter the bios by pressing the Delete key. Load the fail safe defaults.

Sorry, should have been specific...

Sounds like the cable coming from the motherboard to the floppy drive is on backwards. Make sure the wire with the red stripe on the cable is connected to pin #1 on the motherboard connection and on pin #1 of the floppy drive itself.

I've put the floppy cable on backwards so many times it's embarrasing, lol.

JE
    Last edited by JohnE.; 10-10-2001 at 04:58 PM.
    But, it goes to 11

Thanks, but all is correctly conected.
    Think you that, this error is in a first time the computer shut on.

mboiero

Checksum refers to a routine where the BIOS reads the contents in ROM, comparing values which must be identical. When values differ, it issues a message BIOS CHECKSUM FAILURE .... SYSTEM HALTED.

When values differ, POST will not be initiated because the ROM contents are considered defective. Hence, you have what is probably a defective chip, or motherboard, that needs to be replaced.

Some things you can try out before concluding it's really a defective BIOS chip is to clear your CMOS. Check your motherboard manual for the CLEAR CMOS jumper. Usually, the jumper would be on pins 1 and 2. To clear CMOS, you remove the jumper and affix it on pins 2 and 3. Leave it in that position for perhaps 20 or 30 seconds. Remove the jumper and insert it back to its original position of pins 1 and 2. Start your computer, press DEL, enter your BIOS (if you can) and load default and optimized settings.

The other thing you could try is upgrading your BIOS (you've already done it). A third thing to do is to check your CMOS battery. See that it's firmly seated. You'll have to consider that it may be faulty. If you don't mind spending money on another battery, you could replace the current one on the board.

If these measures fail, you're likely to be looking at a defective BIOS chip. Replace chip or motherboard.

I have heard of instances where BIOS CHECKSUM FAILURE ... SYSTEM HALTED problems simply disappear into thin air when a machine is restarted over and over again because the owner has lost all patience and does not know what else to do. Sometimes pressing the INSERT key on boot up also helps.

Michael Chiew
    Michael Chiew