Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BEST EVER FIREWALL !!!!

BEST EVER FIREWALL !!!!

I've read all the sysopt reviews and just about every other review comparing the best firewalls. But that is their opinions. I want to know from real computer users, 'What the best firewall is' out there.

I would apreciate it very much if you guys could help

cheers

alphaman!

IF you are looking for Software.. Check out ZoneAlarm

http://www.zonelabs.com

If you like it pay the few extra bucks over the free version and check out the Pro version... It is alot more configurable.
    Last edited by AzKidd69; 10-10-2001 at 12:41 PM.

Ultimate Member
    I like the free version of ZoneAlarm. It doesn't have any major holes* that we can tell so far, and it is free.

*If they try to turn it into spyware or if it becomes inneffective, then it is coming off my system.

Zone labs here as well. I use it along with my router (w/NAT). With dail-up zone alarm would stop all curious activity, and according to shields up my computer did not exist. Now that I have my router, zone alarm only has to worry about curious outbound traffic.

Banti

Using Zone Alarm also. Works pretty good. I'm with Wyvrn, if it becomes spyware or no longer works, its comin off my system.

I've tried ZoneAlarm, Tiny Personal Firewall and Sygate Personal Firewall. ZoneAlarm I didn't care for, no real definate reason, but I do think its ugly!! Tiny Personal Firewall seems like it is built for someone with networking knowledge, which I have very little of, and it was a pain in the **** more than anything (IMO). But I have been happy so far with Sygate Personal Firewall. About as easy to use as ZoneAlarm, but not as ugly!! (again, IMO)

cya!

Edit -> Added links...
    Last edited by ^hyd^; 10-10-2001 at 01:47 PM.

Routers are cheaper everyday---just received one for a friend by SMC for 35$ (about identical in function to the Linksys)
    Mntsnow had a link (now expired I think) on the Linksys for 69$ which I purchased when first released for 200$---ouch

For free, ZoneAlarm is good, if you're going to spend the $$ for a software solution, LockDown would be my choice! BUT, you cannot beat the security of hardware! Get an SMC Barricade router for about $50 and let NAT watch over your system!

I have a Linksys router / firewall and it makes me quite invisible to the outside world. However, you still need protection from things getting out if you let them get in. I run Nortons (it's not that great) because it is simple and it does what I need it to do.

If you want to test how good your protection is run this test

Leaktest by Steve Gibson

The results may suprise you......

J
    Smile often! It makes people wonder what your up to.....

What are the differences between Zone Alarm and ZA Pro?

(Other than the price.)
    KT7A-RAID
    64 bios
    1ghz AMD Thunderbird
    TaiSol CGK760092 hsf
    Micron 256mb pc-133 cas 3
    Maxtor 40gb ATA-133 7200rpm
    Visiontek GeForce4 Ti 4200 agp
    Plextor 40x12x40 cdrw
    SupraMAX 56i modem
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Win XP Pro

A linux box running PortSentry . . .

A FreeBSD box running ipfw . . .

Inanis :o)

yea i was wondering the same thing as atomic rooster, is pro really worth the money or is the freeware good enough? currently i got norton,but i have to shut it down to play games

I'm running a Dlink DI-707 router/gateway/firewall and love it!

Prior to going hardware, I used ZoneAlarm (free) on all three of my systems. I definitely prefer the hardware method.

If you don't need 7 downlink ports, you can get the DI-804 (4 ports down/1 up), or the DI-801 (1up/1down). The 804 can be had for around $100 or less at various dealers.

Zone Alarm Pro stands alone. If you don't believe me, ceck out what an independant researcher has found:

Scorboard at ShieldsUp

If you would like to get the scoop of what you are actually doing with a firewall program, check this out:

What You See

Cheers!

I like Zone Alarm. I have it on my system from time to time. I have to put it back up, though. I took it off because I am using a few of those Intel AnyPoint Wireless USB hubs. They have a modified version of Black Ice Defender in the, I just got around to shutting that off.

Beemer, I don't think GRC.com (Steve Gibson) is entirely independent. I've had this weird suspicion that he must be a or the programmer of Zone Alarm.

Any other independent testing will usually pick Sygate or Black Ice as close to ZA too.