Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 20 Ghz CPU? Intel Says It's Got a Plan

So what's this F%"&@(0)9 Holy Goal then

strawbs, i beleive the "holy goal" is terahertz speeds (1000GHz) and/or quantum computing. while IBM have managed to make quantum computing work, it's not fast enough to yeild any significant publicity yet. for one thing, it doesn't do what they want it to yet, so they don't make anything public.

jayman will tell you i don't really care what the jones's are doing, so long as i have a stable system that will outperform them MHz for MHz, as my systems often do. i know that i won't be in the line for the 20GHz system unless there's a massive software revolution before they hit. i wouldn't want a pentium 7 or whatever they're gonna call them JUST because it would do my tasks 10% faster or better, if it's plenty fast enough on the cyrix m2 300 i'm going to buy for christmas. when i bought my duron i was using a 166mmx prior to the upgrade. it still did everything i wasnted it for except games. games only want higher speeds so they run smoother. haven't heard of any games that need more than a 300 or 350, have you? if so, there aren't many.

socket 7 is still a viable solution. it just needs a bit of tweaking. like, imagine a socket7 cpu running with a 150MHz bus: still packs a punch, and wouldn't have to be much warmer than a pentium or duron, if warmer at all. am i crazy? or am i seeing something the companies couldn't think of? no comments from the peanut gallery, please.

Well unless they start making RAM with faster speeds.. Then a 20ghz computer will be forced to sit on its *** to wait for the ram to catch up.
    This is very true. But, not only does RAM need to speed up, we need to find a way to speed up the hard drives, they're too slow for today's fastest processors. When I hear of people buying 2GHz machines, I can't help but laugh and say "Why?". Hard Drives, IMO, are probably the most primitive of technologies in the computer. The magnetic head touches the discs. Thus resulting in slower R/W speeds to prevent destruction of the disc, whereas corruption still occurs over time, which is also why they don't last nearly as long as other components.

Guess I put in a little more than 2 cents

my work affects you all!

well if intel does 20 ghz like they do 2 ghz then expect about 1/2 the real world processing power.

20ghz!!!!!!! omg i need to lay down, thats just delicious!
    when i first heard about 2 ghz i got really excited, now this aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
    they need 20gb of RAM now....sweeeeeeeeet

As a friend of mine says "How much faster than Instant do you need to Go" ?
    I Agree with the man! Untill memory can go that fast, The CPU will sit on it's bohinny. I did hear about a double DDR memory that is about to break. Quad-something or another. (Man, I just built this system and put SDRAM in. The mobo was on Sale)
    It is nice though to have the power to blow through programs.
    If you remember back a spell, when a 386 was the lick, programs were just 1 to 5 floppy disk. Now you have to have a CD with 600 Meg. of data to load a program.
    What will happen is programs will get bigger (cause they can) Because we all like the bells and whistles, slowing the system down again. Then somebody will get the idea that programs need to be streamlined. They will change the format from 0's and 1's (binary) to something that has 4 or more bits adding and's and or's to to the program or what ever the scheme needs to be.
    Genes have 4 bits and it took them years to read a line of code that makes a human! God has some awesome file routines running.
    Hey it's just food for thought!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    MSI KT7 Turbo RAID
    AMD 1200 MHZ
    Windows ME w/ all the Updates (that I don't know how to use)
    2- 30 gig Barracuda III = 60 gig
    WinFast GeForce II 32 meg
    Sound Blaster Live! 5.1-Mp-3
    Cambridge Sound Works 5.1 Theater System

firstly, sven, calm down, we don't want to get wet over something so far away. secondly, i agree with doc about the software streamlining. we've needed this for a long time, and i can't wait for THAT to happen, because it means the smaller hard drives will become useful again. that's recycling for you.

thanks for the system info doc, gives me somehting to aim at beating. cheers.