Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 20 Ghz CPU? Intel Says It's Got a Plan

Hybrid View

20 Ghz CPU? Intel Says It's Got a Plan

20ghz wow just think of back in the dos days of the 33mhz and 66 mhz computers or early windows... That wasnt long ago........................ 20 ghz wow. How about amd they cooking somthing up?
    Chris Stafford

Wanted! Good woman with 20 GHZ computer. Must be able to cook, sew, clean house and type 60 terabytes per second. Please send picture of computer.

Yikes!

Don't forget to wear a lead shield when working on your new 20GHz machine. The X-ray radiation may make you mutate.
    --
    Shawn Sonnentag
    IRIX/Linux System Administrator
    ...oh, and Windoze too...

Yikes!

Don't forget to wear a lead shield when working on your new 20GHz machine. The X-ray radiation may make you mutate.

Shawn
    --
    Shawn Sonnentag
    IRIX/Linux System Administrator
    ...oh, and Windoze too...

AMD may win temporary, transient battles, but it is the vision of Intel (in the form of billions in research appropriations dollars) that will win the war.

Bumpless CPU packaging is a small step towards that ultimate, and above all HOLY goal.

So Ranma, whats the "holly goal"?
    Wendy's triple bacon cheddar-swiss-butter burger is so delightful, it'll stop your heart.

Well unless they start making RAM with faster speeds.. Then a 20ghz computer will be forced to sit on its *** to wait for the ram to catch up.

Whoa! At that rate, we could expect to see processors in the TeraHertz (THz) in our lifetimes!!!!

Just imagine the incredibly advanced games there would be!

Maybe they will come out with the Pentium V soon.

call me sentimental, but i still think a socket7 or super7 system can do all the stuff my current Duron does, and the k6-3s actually feel faster then my duron. if we even reach the technological capability to get terahertz out of our systems, who will need them?

amd turning ther backs

I heard AMD is changing there usual MHZ rating system for there AMD CPu chips to the MAC type rating. That means Amd won't be calling there fastest cpu 2ghz. instead it wil be like the Athlon 2 or something. awwww
    Technology: Will it be the end of mankind?

wouldn't that be a BAD thing for them to do?

whats the "holly goal"?
    HOLODECK BABY!

I think AMD next step is SOI (silicon on insulator). Means higher clock rates cuz they don't need to wait so long for the copper interconnects inside the die of the cpu to lose the current charge (also only slight the copper does act like a capacitor for like a few ms or something, the SOI will help to speed up the time to lose the charge). There was an article on it here a while ago.

Who needs a 20Ghz computer? needs??? i dunno but i sure wouldn't complain if i had one!

JayMan

Who nows maybe by the time Intel has there 20Ghz CPU AMD will have their own AMD +20 Gx (which is actually a PR 18Ghz CPU) that can outperform Intel's 20Ghz CPU...
    Ritalin Kid

Originally posted by corrupted
    call me sentimental, but i still think a socket7 or super7 system can do all the stuff my current Duron does, and the k6-3s actually feel faster then my duron. if we even reach the technological capability to get terahertz out of our systems, who will need them?
    I could not agree with you more about who will need them, man I tell you why do people gotta run with the pack? In my honest opinion, if a PC performs all the task you want it to in good speed and stability, there is no need at all to upgrade because the Jones' got a 20Ghz PC.

But then again, hardcore gamers will surely find 20Ghz a dream come true in a few years as they say. Well as they say, "Different Strokes for Different Folks"