Thread: How far can TV's go?

How far can TV's go?

Recently got motivated enough to move the computer desk next to the TV so I could play with my GeForces TV-OUT(the dam cable is so short.......). Anyway kinda curious what resolution and refresh rate they max out at, I know a monitor can surpass it resolution-wise quite substantially but what kind of refresh rates do TV's get?

Hi Hellmund

No worry, the resolution or refresh rate won't get maxed out at all.

The refreshrate is always the refreshrate of your set: 50Hz (100Hz on those expensive ones). Changing your card refreshrate does not have an effect on your TVset.

The resolution normally used for TV out these days is 800x600. The TVout chip automatically switches to 800x600 so no worry about your high resoluted settings. Some artifacts however is that you have to resize running application windows because they still thing the resolution is high (you only see a part of the window). Minimize and then maximize solves the problem. I usually switch my resolution to 800x600 anyway, when I want to watch fullscreen DVDmovie for instance.

B.t.w. I have made a cable myself, it's about 10 meters and works fine. You can buy those 2.

Nah I wasn't worried about damaging it, just curios how high they do go. If the refresh rates are high enough I'll use it for FPS's......my monitor can only do 60hz at all resolutions......it's locked, prefer 85hz+ at low res instead of that, u turn fast left and right in a game and it looks shocking....especially bad when people come up behind u in UT!

Frame per secnds depends on your card and system peformance. It won't increase or decrease using on your TV set. However playing UT on a big screen TV screen is cool!! A friend of my got a beamer. **** you have to stand up to play it then (wireless keyboard ).

I saw a new GF3 card from Gainward equiped with TV-Out which can do 1024x768, looks really impressive, and you can even read the text
    As for refresh rate, it's usually 50Hz, 100Hz if you got money and bigTV

Best Regards ...