Thread: cmos

drjeff

cmos

I need to boot from the d drive. How do I do that?

Assuming your BIOS will let you select the boot drive, you'd have to enter the BIOS and select the D: drive as the boot drive. Usually pressing Del repeatedly as the systems boots gets you into the BIOS. Be careful if you are unfamiliar with using BIOS settings as you could cause more problems.

Windows also requires the boot partition (on the drive you want to boot from) to be the only active partition in the system. You'll need to use fdisk from a DOS prompt to access the drives and make the partition on D: active and, if I recall, remove the active setting from your C: drive (haven't done this in quite a while).

Ultimate Member
    Careful. Even if you make D "bootable" via Fdisk and the Sys command, and thus become C drive, it won't boot (other than to vanilla DOS) unless Windoz is installed on it. Perhaps you can elaborate on what your purpose is.
    Last edited by BFlurie; 10-10-2001 at 12:55 AM.

It's possible to have two disks in the box, both active and bootable.
    The OS will load from the first Active bootable partition that it finds. Usually this would be the master disk on the primary controller. You can instruct the system to look elsewhere via the system setup (CMOS settings).
    To boot from D: all you need do is enter the system setup and change the boot sequence so the D drive is before C.
    When booting from D: be aware that the OS is going to think that D: is C:, that is the only way to be sure it did boot from D: is to check the volume labels.

MAX