Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: disabled u.s. navy vet needs help

i have a fan for that socket, but ANY parts will sure be put to good use.

pretty cool is definitely an understatement!!!

e-mail me for the mailing address

specify if you need a receipt, and you will get one directly from the Salvation Army for top dollar.

anyone requiring money for shipping please contact me (e-m or pm) first so i can work something out.

thank you all

leed
    Last edited by leed; 10-11-2001 at 05:30 PM.

I have also got a heatsink and fan I pulled the other day from a DX4 80 CPU if you don't need the fan you could atleast use the heatsink.. yee haw!! I can finally clean everything out from underneath my bed!!!
    Ritalin Kid

and i can finally have something UNDER mine.

seriously, i am a bit reclusive, and look forward to having something healthy and helpful to do...i can spend my time at home building pc's and have the lab pick up ready to go machines.

Ultimate Member
    Welcome, SIR !

I also have some leftover stuff, keep us advised of your current needs and I'm sure that one of us can oblige.

DrVette

aka

the Doc
    (Steals & Deals my speciality)

thanks doc

we have 5 or 6 machines working at any given time, all 33's and 66's, most have 16mb and hdd's smaller than 504mb, only two cd drives, one sound card with headphones.

sure could use some 100's and 133's (cpu/mb combos are hard to come by), more 72-pin ram (16's), larger drives (540-1.0g), nic's (isa) and cabling, a router, and we are desperate for cd drives (ata or proprietary with controllers).

we would like to get about 20 machines networked so we could run some real classes on app's, resumes, job search, financing, etc.

if the center ever got a true lab up to speed, we could begin to help those who have "graduated" from homelessness put together their own machines. the need is immense, and never-ending...as are the rewards for helping others.

in other words, we need, can use, or will be able to use anything and everything that comes our way.

leed

ps...what the heck is a dahlonega?

Howdy! From one US Vet to another, I wanna know what I can do to help. Just like a few of us on here, I have a lot of old computer stuff just taking up space and I couldn't think of a better way to "get rid of it"

I have an older 486 DX-2 66 with on-board video that I don't even know if it works or not... it's worth a shot, though. I also have a Pentium 166 on a motherboard, some old ram, some HD's, sound cards, etc... finding drivers would be the hardest part, probably... But knowing the people here, they probably have those, too!

If you have an address to send it to, I'll package it up and drop it in the mail. Free.

You said that you wern't disabled while in the military, but I don't care about that. At least you were IN the military! I was in during the Gulf War, but spent most my time in SE Asia. Granted, I never got "gassed" but I have slept in Chem Warfare gear, and it AIN'T fun! My Team and I evacuated 18,000 people from the Phillipines, slept in a tent during a typhoon in Okinawa, trained for war in South Korea, and loved every minute of it. (Well, at the time it wasn't that fun... but looking back it was some of the best times of my life.) stepping off my soapbox....

If it wasn't for the military, I'd never be where I am today... and I am VERY thankful for what I have. So here's to you and the people that help support our Nation's Veterans! Lemmie know what else I can do to help.

Fraternally,

Mark

Former Military Police here . I got a Super socket 7 board with a k6-2 500 chip on it. Its an ATX board. Its rotting away in my supply closet , and i would be more than happy to send it your way, Leed.

Let me know.

Sh4d0wH4xOr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fasthodrod, shadowhaxor...thank you

a lot of homeless vets in fla., the weather being a huge factor.

the new salvation army center here in palm beach county is an award winning facility, comprehensive in aid to not only the homeless, but the needy in general. i found them because i needed a few parts to get my pc going. they were fast to respond, and gave more than i asked for. i now help out in the computer lab by giving tech. time. this unexpected opportunity to help the lab grow into a real classroom (as well as helping individuals who need a pc at home) is a GODSEND.

ALL surplus parts after i build 1 pc for myself goes to the center. receipts are available to anyone who wants to deduct...they will be for top dollar.

leed

ps-machinist's mate (operate & maintain main engines) uss chicago (cg-11), san diego & w. pacific, mid-'70's
    Last edited by leed; 10-11-2001 at 05:29 PM.

KMA
    Hi Lee, I would not post my address up here.

Also you may want to join the rest of us at www.techimo.com if you have not alreadt done so.

You guys are awesome!!!

jad1097 thank you.

i have started a new thread at the above mentioned site in the traders' forum, and will maintain both.

everyone, please consider helping us out, either by donating or bumping this thread with encouragement.

e-m or pm me for a mailing address.

leed
    Last edited by leed; 10-11-2001 at 08:20 PM.

anyone wanting to help, but dubious, e-m or pm me for Salvation Army contact information...if you want to help with a "bump" post your request here and i will send you a link to references.

leed

If i find anything ill let yah know.

Things are starting to take off for my project...look here for the latest news.

Thanks to all for your support

Leed

(i thought i'd never get that link right )

I have a cpu fan pulled from an old AMD 486 system - doesn't use the offset tabs but wraps around the CPU - if you guys want it please e-mail (I'm leaving town tonight til Monday) and I'll ship it to wherever.

YGM...and thank you!