Thread: pentium II Overdrive

pentium II Overdrive

Can anyone steer me to a link where I can get a pentium II overdrive 200 MHz. I have an older pentium 166 that is showing all my CPU is being used up and thought I would try and put in a 200 MHz, thats as high as I can go. I checked Intel`s site and they say it will work, but they don`t sell them. Checked Ebay and no overdrive. My motherboard is Award 7 socket for cpu. Thanks.................Ray

Do you have the exact make and model of your mobo? That will help us determine what your upgrading options are. Specifically, CPU support is dependent upon the bus speeds and voltages that your mobo provides. Generally, newer CPUs will require faster bus speeds and lower voltages. You can get around any voltage limitations with add-on adapters (www.powerleap.com), but there is no easy way to get around bus speed limitations.

You cannot use a P2 in your socket 7 mobo. P2s (and P3s) are designed for use with slot 1 or socket 370 mobos. They are physically incompatible. You'll have to stick with socket 7 CPUs if you want to upgrade the CPU.

The following for my mobo:

BIOS Date: 01/14/97
    BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    BIOS ID: 01/14/97-i430VX-2A59GR0CC-00
    BIOS Eval: REV: 877_C
    Chipset: Intel Triton 430VX rev 2
    Superio: Winbond 877F (use 87h) rev 0 found at port 3F0h

The following for my cpu:

CPU Vendor = GenuineIntel
    CPU Name = Pentium (P54C 75..166)
    Socket Type = Unknown
    Model = 052C
    BIOS Vendor = Award
    BIOS Version = v4.51PG
    BIOS Date = 01/14/97
    BIOS ID = 2A59GR0CC-00
    Chipset = Intel Triton III 430VX
    CRC1 = 6D9AA32F
    CRC2 = 1C7F1060
    CRC3 = F423327B
    CPU Core = 167 MHz
    Front Side Bus = MHz
    Clock Multiplier =
    L1 Code Cache = KB
    L1 Data Cache = KB
    L2 Cache Size = KB
    Available Physical memory = 704 KB
    Total Physical memory = 81436 KB
    Memory Load = 85 %
    Operating Systems = Windows 98 SE

My book says I can upgrade to a 200 MHz, and I think that is as far as I can go. Its a good ol machine, cpu just getting tired. Thanks for any advice...................Ray

follow-up:

I went to the powerleap site you suggested and downloaded the cpu control panel and it says I have a 5 socket.

The Pentium II Overdrive chip was a socket 8 part. Unless you're running a Pentium Pro, you won't be able to use it.

I think Intel's overdrive might have gone up to 233, but I am not sure on that.

I think DanU is right, you will have to go to a 3rd party like Powerleap to get any sort of upgrade.

<edit>
    Your only problem is that it's a 430VX chipset motherboard. Very limited SDRAM support, and supported a 200mhz max CPU (3x66)
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 10-10-2001 at 12:18 PM.

Here's another site you can check out:

http://www.evertech.com/category.cfm?Category=27

They have 3 upgrade speeds 233,333 and 400. Kind of expensive, if you ask me.

Ray, you should just be able to pop in a 200 set the jumpers for it and go. I do this all the time. {I've never heard of a P- II - 200 overdrive for a socket 7 board}
    Madfish
    Space Cat to the Rescue!

Ray,
    Looks like you've got an Mtech R533. It's a single voltage plane board, so you'll definitely need to get a voltage adapter like the powerleap in order to use an AMD K6-2. This board offers a 75MHz bus speed so you can run a K6-2 up to 450MHz using the 6x multiplier.

I've got a K6-2 450 in a 430VX board in my mom's computer. I had to put all of the memory timings on their either the slowest or second slowest setting in order to keep the computer stable. This could be because the 430VX chipset wasn't intended for operation beyond 66MHz. It could also have been the 60ns EDO DRAM. PC66 SDRAM could probably handle faster timings at 75MHz.