Thread: At what point will a T-Bird fry?

Ultimate Member

At what point will a T-Bird fry?

Any ideas as to when a T-Bird will become deaded - just outta interest
    Cheers,

4 Seconds and I should know since I did it

Temp wise I'm not sure, while trying to o/c my 1.2 would go buggy around 60 C°

I found this information at http://www.heatsink-guide.com .

AMD Athlon and Duron

Socket A CPUs (Athlon, Duron) up to 1GHz 90°C
    Socket A CPUs (Athlon) 1.1GHz or more 95°C
    All Slot A CPUs (Athlon classic, Athlon Thunderbird) 70°C

Hope this will help you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

keithQ, kind of expensive lesson wasn't it?

Ultimate Member
    90C for my 1ghz Tbird - wohhoo - that means the temps im getting with my 1.55ghz o/c arent THAT bad

There is article on a test for - How Modern Processors Cope With Heat Emergencies at tomshardware site. Tested on Intel Pentium 4 2GHz, a Pentium III 1 GHz, an AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz with the 'Thunderbird' core and an AthlonMP 1.2 GHz, which comes with the new 'Palomino' core, as also used in the upcoming AthlonXP processors. Only 2 survived. I guess everyone should know the answer.

You can check it out here

http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q...tvideo-01.html

ya, thats a good article! though the chances of the heatsink coming off are marginal, but still is interesting!
    the video is pretty neat too!

The article is very interesting indeed! I sent AMD the very url to that link. Not that they aren't already aware of the problem. AMD I'm sure is content with their current standings right now, as far as performance/price is concerned. Intel only "thinks " they have a thorn in their side by AMD now. When AMD does tackle the "thermal death" problem, then Intel will really have problems.

"I think it's going to snow in hell dorothy".

Dmek69..

You have made a great point. Intel thinks that their winning the battle right now but as AMD's progress more and more and fix their "core tempature" problem, they are for sure to give Intel a run for the money.

I have been an intel "whore" in the past but the way the t-birds and xp athlons are performing now. It is going to be fun to watch this little battle us o/c-ers and gamers have started isnt?

well, if the heat sync doesnt fall off i guess its really no big deal. however, it will takes many months(10+) change like that from the drawing board to the end users. just get good heat protection and keep it away from from the dreaded 70c+ temps

Thanks for the heads up Lord Sech. I'm just tellin' it as I see it. I do a lot of research about the two said companies and they are both due credit. AMD on the other hand does look out for the consumer a little more when it comes to price and, need I say, power! We all want to save as much money as we can and get the most bang for our buck, right? AMD has already accomplished this. When they meet our other needs (thermal death issues), then I'm sure we couldn't be a happier group of people. This whole price/power war is identical to the wars we are and have already experienced with say telecommunications, airlines, & electricity. Those who fight such a good cause can only be out to hurt the underdogs; us! If most people would take the much- needed time to read the fine print we wouldn't have such animosity towards whose better or worse. There would be no question in my eyes. They say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". I guess I'm a new dog then 'cus I know the difference and it's all too clear for me. AMD all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again DMEK,

we seem to share views on abou every subject. LOL

-Sech

Ultimate Member
    Amen!

AMD i love you!!
    Tbird 1GHz £86 - running at 1.5ghz (no fiddling with voltages..yet)
    --thats a saving of about £150 on a tbird 1.5
    Overclockable as hell ..i dont think ill ever return to intel -- sorry guys

Adios